French Secondary Teacher Coming Out On SS 176 Visa...but will I get a job???

noble383

Hello!!!!

I am looking for a bit of information, ideally reassurance but mainly a 'warts n all' view of getting a teaching job in Victoria.

Basically I am going through the State Sponsored 176 Visa. I am a secondary French & Spanish teacher (I know there isnt many Spanish jobs in Victoria!!) and have 9 years of experience teaching in the UK and I am currently working at a top international school in Singapore. I have dual French/British citizenship which I would hope might count in my favour teaching French?! I have also taught the UK curriculum and the International Baccalureate.

I presumed that if they are sponsoring me to come out to Victoria to be a French Teacher, there would be some kind of need for my subject?? I am just a bit concerned having heard people on this site and others talk about the severe lack of teaching jobs in Victoria. I certainly don't expect it to be easy, it never is, but the way some people have talked about it, it sounds virtually impossible!?!! I will be coming out with my husband, who is in finance and is likely to be based in Melbourne, but I understand I may have to cast my net further to get a job?? I believe my chances might be better in the private sector?

Also does anyone know generally what months the jobs start to come out, say for Feb 2013?

Thanks in advance for any help, information or advice you can offer!!!

All the best

noble383

Hello!!!!

I am looking for a bit of information, ideally reassurance but mainly a 'warts n all' view of getting a teaching job in Victoria.

Basically I am going through the State Sponsored 176 Visa. I am a secondary French & Spanish teacher (I know there isnt many Spanish jobs in Victoria!!) and have 9 years of experience teaching in the UK and I am currently working at a top international school in Singapore. I have dual French/British citizenship which I would hope might count in my favour teaching French?! I have also taught the UK curriculum and the International Baccalureate.

I presumed that if they are sponsoring me to come out to Victoria to be a French Teacher, there would be some kind of need for my subject?? I am just a bit concerned having heard people on this site and others talk about the severe lack of teaching jobs in Victoria. I certainly don't expect it to be easy, it never is, but the way some people have talked about it, it sounds virtually impossible!?!! I will be coming out with my husband, who is in finance and is likely to be based in Melbourne, but I understand I may have to cast my net further to get a job?? I believe my chances might be better in the private sector?

Also does anyone know generally what months the jobs start to come out, say for Feb 2013?

Thanks in advance for any help, information or advice you can offer!!!

All the best

noble383

Hey there

I am also a secondary teacher (science and maths) also trying for visa in Queensland. There have been a lot of threads re; scarcity of teacher jobs but also some positive ones. I think someone who is determined enough and flexible enough will be able to find work. I am sorry I don't know much about Victoria jobs; someone else might be able to give more state specific advice

All the best

Milliex

Hey there

I am also a secondary teacher (science and maths) also trying for visa in Queensland. There have been a lot of threads re; scarcity of teacher jobs but also some positive ones. I think someone who is determined enough and flexible enough will be able to find work. I am sorry I don't know much about Victoria jobs; someone else might be able to give more state specific advice

All the best

Milliex

Oooooh thanks Millie - I'll have to try and dig out the positive ones.............I'm in need of a good Friday feeling!!! That's what I am hoping for, as long as I get myself 'out there' and be prepared to travel a bit, you can make it happen!!

All the best with your move - sounds like you're nearly ready to head over!!!

Thanks

Noble383

Archived