Will an existing eVisitor cease when we apply for 309 ??

bma

Hi everyone,

I have a question about an eVisitor visa in connection to 309 visa application.

I'm an Australian permanent resident who's currently in Europe and going back to Australia in a few days. My hubby is coming to Australia with me; his eVisitor has already been granted and is valid for almost a year. He has NO "No Further Stay" condition on his eVisitor. An eVisitor allows its holder to stay in Australia for up to three months on each visit within a 12 month period from the date of grant.

We are thinking of applying for 309 after the first three months.

Does anybody know what happens with an eVisitor when its holder applies for 309? We'd like to do his medical on Bali and then send the complete and front-loaded visa application (with police checks and the medical) with a courier to our Australian Embassy in Europe or preferably lodge the 309 application at the Australian Consulate in Bali (especially cause my husband will return to Bali twice more). My darling would return to Australia on the existing eVisitor. By the way, we have already bought all the necessary plane tickets for all three necessary exits (before three months expiration date on each visit to Australia), although we still haven't decided will we apply for 309 or 820; we tend toward 309, especially with all the plane tickets to Bali now bought.

So does anybody know, what happens to an existing eVisitor when its holder later applies for 309? I hope it doesn't cease, that would spoil our plan.

I thank you in advance for any replies, kind greetings to all,

bma

Guest Guest31881

As far as I know applying for a new visa does not cancel any existing visas, only on the granting of a new visa would a pre-existing visa be cancelled. The no stay clause is unfortunate because it means your partner has to leave Australia at the end of the visa, and I think it stops you applying for the 820 visa while in Australia, so the off shore option appears to be the best bet.

I would suggest you contact an agent for advice. you do not have to go with them but even if you paid for an interview you would at least know you are doing the correct thing.

I am sure others with better knowledge than me about visas will be along to help shortly.

As far as I know applying for a new visa does not cancel any existing visas, only on the granting of a new visa would a pre-existing visa be cancelled. The no stay clause is unfortunate because it means your partner has to leave Australia at the end of the visa, and I think it stops you applying for the 820 visa while in Australia, so the off shore option appears to be the best bet.

I would suggest you contact an agent for advice. you do not have to go with them but even if you paid for an interview you would at least know you are doing the correct thing.

I am sure others with better knowledge than me about visas will be along to help shortly.

Hi Srp,

thank you very much for your quick reply. That's great news.

Just a small correction - my partner's eVisitor doesn't bear NFS. We don't have No Further Stay on his eVisitor, we'd just prefer to lodge 309 instead of 820 (because we'd like to use all those plane tickets for three 2-weeks trips to Bali...).

Kind greetings,

bma

Guest GeorgeD

I applied for and was granted an eVisitor in Feb of 2010. I applied for the Offshore 309 in May of 2010. I travelled to Australia on the eVisitor for 10 weeks in June 2010 while the 309 weas being processed. I returned to the UK in August 2010 and my 309 was granted in September 2010.

Your eVisitor remains valid while you await the decision of the 309.

I applied for and was granted an eVisitor in Feb of 2010. I applied for the Offshore 309 in May of 2010. I travelled to Australia on the eVisitor for 10 weeks in June 2010 while the 309 weas being processed. I returned to the UK in August 2010 and my 309 was granted in September 2010.

Your eVisitor remains valid while you await the decision of the 309.

Hi GeorgeD,

thank you so much for your reply, exactly what we needed to know in order to plan our future steps.

Kind greetings,

bma

Archived