coastal route from Sydney to Melbourne - where to stay query

Jlew

As part of our trip, we're going to take a three days with two nights accomodation on the way to drive the coastal route from Sydney to Melbourne. Can anyone recommend which places to stay the couple of nights we'll be travelling the route? We'll have our two young sons with us and plan to do some sight seeing on the way.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Guest The Pom Queen

Oh wow I wouldn't know where to start, you could take 2 weeks and not see everything, it's a stunning route.

Guest The Pom Queen

I would probably say Jervis Bay including Hyams Beach (worlds whitest beach) or Lakes Entrance and a visit to Raymond Island to see Koalas

We did the trip Syd-Melb, camping at Mystery Bay (near Narooma) the first night. That whole area around Wallaga lakes is nice. We found that in general the further away you were from Sydney/Melbourne, the nicer the scenery, and fewer people too. It was absolutely packed during the Christmas/New Year break. Places like Jervis Bay NSW/ACT and Lakes Entrance were very touristy. We stayed at Point Hicks, Croajingolong National Park over the border in Vic the second day and at Walhalla (amazing historic Gipppsland mining town town) the third. We have just returned from a second trip, but this time we skipped the whole overcrowded NSW coast bit by going down the Monaro Highway via Cooma to Cann River (you could do it in five hours from Sydney I reckon, we stopped over at the Snowies for the night).

Cann River was a nice place - we tried Mallacoota, which was very beautiful but very touristy for such an off the beaten track place - reminded me of Port Douglas! Good luck with booking accomodation this time of year - we found everything to be booked out solid, even the campsites. And as the previous poster said, three days won't do it justice - you could spend a week or two seeing all the great places en route.

thank you! appreciate its a great route, and thought it would be a good way of travelling between Sydney and Melbourne. Melbourne is the main focus of the reccy trip though so a fairly speedy(ish) trip down the coast required.

Archived