Areas around Perth hills?

Guest mandy1970

Guest mandy1970

We havent started the visa process yet as we have given ourselves until Xmas to make the mighty decision (although I think we already have!!)

We are looking at various areas in and around the hills to settle. We are looking at somewhere rural with good schools kids 9 and 4, some shops or larger stores nearby. Hubby works offshore in the oil industry so we need to be no longer than 1 hour away from the airport. Near a train line would be a bonus!

The areas we have looked at so far (with help from Google Earth) are Mundaring, Roleystone, Kalamunda, Kelmscott.

Can anyone give us some help regarding these areas or suggest others?

Guest billy braveheart

Hi Mandy,

we are in forrestfield which is at the foot of the perth hills,they have good schools here primary and secondary and its only 10 mins from the airport,shopping centre only 5 mins away and plenty of public transport in the area,kalamunda has primary and secondary school but its very quiet up in them thar hills and apparently in the summer there is also the risk of bush fires ,roleystone is a bit further out mundaring is about 30 mins from airport

not a lot to go on but hope it helps

billy

Guest mandy1970

Thanks Billy

We have not looked at Forrestfield as it looked a bit close to the airport so thought it might be a bit noisy. We live in a small village with a good school (120 kids) and have to travel 20 mins to the nearest decent supermarket and 40 mins for a days shopping!!

Will look into your area. How long have you been there?

Thanks again

Mandy

Guest billy braveheart

Hi mandy,

Forrestfield isnt that noisy you do hear aircraft as you do nearly all over perth as they have the international airport and the domestic one too but its not right on top of you

we left glasgow on the 10th of august and are lovin it, i find its central for most things ie the city(25mins) and the beaches(35-40 mins) and we have midland only 9 mins away where there is a large shopping centre

billy

Guest mandy1970

Billy

Glad to hear you are loving it. I noticed that you took you dog. We would be taking ours but our vet didnt have details of carriers for him. Could you give me any info - he is chipped, up to date with jabs and no health problems. He will probably cost more than us to fly!!

Guest billy braveheart

Hi Mandy,

we used Pet Travel services in dunfermline which isnt far from you.

Andrew there will look after all your needs ,we were a bit anxious about taking our dog as she was an anti social bitch but had no problems, apart from the wallet which was £2800 lighter then quarantine fees after you get here which was $750 AD but worth it,

call Andrew and he will explain exactly what you need their number is 01383722819 or look them up at Pet Travel Services any info needed just ask

billy

• 8 months later...
Guest Mullans On The Move!!

Hi there, we are in a similar situation, my partner and I have a little boy (14months) and two dogs. We are looking at Mundaring and surrounding areas to move to next year, obviously schools and the community are important to us. We don't quite know what to do with our beautiful Rottweilers, although I think we will end up bringing them at a huge cost!

• 7 months later...
Guest Denise28

Hi There,

Just noticed you were thinking of moving to Mundaring, how did you go, did you choose that area in the end... (Mundaring has a great pub near the weir, real good country feel to it if that helps:jiggy:

I have just bought a place in Stoneville, not moved in yet as I am waiting for the tenents to move out, but I can't wait to get into the area. I am currently living in Mindarie and before that stayed in Freo, but I have to say that the Hills feel like home!

Good luck with your move if your not hear already

Denise

Guest Guruju

Hi All

Just a couple of things to remember, the coastal plain is where the majority of popluation is based to be close to the beach but also because the sea breeze coming in during the afternoons can really help keep the temperatures reasonable. The hills are lovely (we spend a fair it of time up there) but, during the hotter months, can be 4 to 8 degrees hotter than the coast. Make sure you have aircon. Bushfires are a real threat to hill dwellers, and do not take this lightly. There are some excellent resources and information provided by FESA on the website FESA - Fire and Emergency Services Authority of Western Australia.

Cheers

Julia

From the UK we had our heart set on the hills, had even enrolled DS in a school but when we visited on our reccy we found it just wasn't for us. We didn't live rural in the UK which may be onne factor but it was also very different from rural in the UK, definitely not gentrified.

That said we passed through Kelmscott & Roleystone recently and thought they were much nicer than where we were looking - Parkerville but possibly that's because we've been in Australia for a while and it was less of a culture shock.

Until you've been for yourself I wouldn't commit to anything though - I laugh now at how naive I was.

Jules

Guest mandy1970

We went over in Jan this year to validate and had a good look around.

We did like the hills but it just wasnt for us - hot,no or little breeze, houses tucked away etc. We are beach people (live at the coast here) so have decided to live somewhere in and around Rockingham/Mandurah. The hard bit now is picking the right place - there is for and against for them all.

Mandy

The houses tucked away was part of the issue with us - it's pretty obvious now but if you're living on a 5 acre block then you're next door neighbours are well 5 acres away.....like I said we laugh at our naivity now :)

Archived