EARTHQUAKES

Guest Daceys

Guest Daceys

I know that I'm Welsh and this may seem a dumb question but I've a little concern regarding earthquakes down under.

How frequent are they and how strong can they be, especially in the Brisbane area?!!!!!!

Or am I just going over the top here!!! I hope so!!!!

Cheers, Al.

Guest Nelson

There was a fatal earthquake in Newcastle in 1989... dunno how many people were killed or what it measured on the richter scale... cyclones and tremors may be more a problem but i'm no expert..

Guest Daceys

I don't mean to scare anyone but the Quake in 1989, that's what made me think a bit. 5.6 on scale, 13 deaths, 160 injuries, 60,000 buildings damaged!!!! :(

Just need to know what the chances are etc :shock: :shock: :shock:

Guest ABCDiamond

The 1989 Earthquake....

I felt it.

I remember it well, as I was sitting down in the little room, and felt a little wobbly !! And I was in Sydney !!

However..

The 1989 Newcastle earthquake was the first earthquake in Australia to cause death and destruction.

Most of the damaged buildings only suffered Modest damage.

There were 63,756 residential insurance claims averaging $8,432.15 each

Newcastle showed that a lethal earthquake can occur in parts of Australia considered to be of low seismic risk. It has resulted in improved building codes and practices, and closer monitoring of seismic activity.

Since 1994 all buildings in Australia (including homes) are now required to be constructed to resist earthquakes.

In the last 80 years there have been 17 earthquakes in Australia registering 6 or more on the Richter Scale. Mostly in non populated areas.

UK earthquakes (Richter scale measurements) in comparison:

6.1 biggest ever recorded, about 120km off Great Yarmouth, 1931

5.4 biggest on land in Lleyn, north Wales, 1984

5.1 in Bishop's Castle, Shropshire, in 1990

4.2 in Warwick, Sept 2000

4.1 shook Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, Oct 2001

Between 200 and 300 quakes occur in Britain each year, but only about 10% are strong enough to be felt. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2275158.stm

Brisbane Earthquakes:

An earthquake occurred at 11.39pm (local time) 15 December 2002 centred under the north western suburbs of Brisbane, Qld. The event measured 3.0 on the Richter scale and was felt by many residents. (but not by me) The earthquake woke people who heard loud noises and felt some movement.

A shallow earthquake of this size would be felt over a radius of approximately 30 km but would not be expected to cause any damage. The last earthquake recorded in the Brisbane region was a magnitude 2.7 event recorded under Acacia Ridge in July 1996.

Looks like Brisbane is safer than the UK ;)

Archived