Immigration charges and process

PaulandJanine

Hello there,

I’m just about to start the full process of immigration to Oz, and I have a few questions before I start. I have job which is on the desired skill set of the state sponsorships, but how would this application be processed – would I apply as normal on a subclass 175 skilled visa, then once assessed by immigration, would a state then look at my application and offer me a 176 sponsored visa? In relation to the visa process, how would this work. I have been playing about with the online application wizard, and am I right in saying I will need my work skills assessed prior to application? I’m an engineer/consultant in the IT industry so I have already been looking at ACS (Australian Computer Society) to be assessed who require all my qualifications verified and 400AUD fee.

With regards to the Visa charges, I have noticed you need to pay two instalments for your Visa. Is the second instalment only if your English is weak, or does every applicant have to pay the second instalment? Also, does the money paid towards your visa application include your health and police checks, or do you have to pay for this separate? I’m trying work out how much applying for a visa will cost without using an agent, prior to starting my application as looking though the forum I can’t seem to get anything confirmed of costs and process.

Apologies if there has been a similar post to this, and I appreciate any advice or guidance you can offer me.

Thanks,

Paul

Yes you need your skills assessed before the application can be lodged.

The primary applicant only pays one instalment of the visa charge, because you would have to take IELTS in most cases, which proves your language abilities as competent or superior rather than merely functional (I think a 175 has a VAC of AU$ 2,960 IIRC); the 2nd instalment is for any dependants or secondary applicants who have less than "functional" english.

You need to apply to the state/s yourself before you lodge the actual application; if your state sponsorship is successful, you can straightaway lodge a 176.

The visa application charge is just that; incidental charges and other fees are on top. Medicals, police checks, skills assessments, postage/handing of documents etc is all on top of the VAC.

I assume you are in UK, so factor about AU$2960 (VAC) + GBP200 (medical) + around GBP 100 for police checks, and AUD 400-500 for skills assessment. All up you would be looking at roughly GBP 2500 all up...

That ofcourse excludes any agent fees.

Guest Claire101

Hi Paul

The first step is to get your skills assessed and take your IELTS if you need to for additional points and/or your occupation demands it. Once you've done that you then need to decide whether to apply for a 175 or 176 visa - the 175 gives you greater freedom as you aren't restricted to a particular state but takes longer to process. If you decide on the 176 then you need to apply for state sponsorship at this stage. Next you can lodge your visa application.

We lodged our application in November and all in it has set us back about £3k without using a migration agent.

Hope that helps!

Claire.

Guest JonnyNI

I think the 2 guys above have told you all you need to know but I am just finishing off an application for a 176 so if you need anything don't hesitate to ask.

PS. I don't want to speak too soon but if you are willing to put a bit of effort in I think you can do without an agent - it is pretty daunting at first though!!!

Guest JonnyNI
jonny im just wondering out of interest do u know of any decent immigration officers in northern ireland or the uk?

I had looked at WorkingIn and GoMatilda... Both have good reputations but GoMatilda's pricing was much more reasonable!! They are based in the UK (I think it is Birmingham) but everything will be conducted over the phone and e-mail so it doesn't really matter where they are based...

Let me know if you end up using an agent.

Good Luck, Jonny

Archived