Confused.com

Tom86

Sorry i pressed enter without completing what i was writing. I would just like to know what the bare minimun info is that I need to give myself a start in Oz. Im a willing worker and will consider most jobs initially to get myself started, and plan to head to a hostel for accomodation. Again this would just be initially until i find my feet. Any info would be most appreciated. Thanks.

First off, what visa are you going over on? Is it a WHV? If so I'll maybe move this thread to the WHV section as its better suited to there. If its a different visa than I am sure people can offer some insight, it'd just be nice to know a bit of background to be able to give more tailored advice or suggestions. Otherwise its all a bit vague.

I'll move this to the WHV section as there are plenty of people posting there who might be able to help.

TBH as its usually more casual work (and iirc you can't work in the same job for longer than 6 months) I'd think it'd be a case of buying the local papers, checking in stores, cafes and so on in the local area and just plugging away till you find something. That's if you want something casual. Usually references are good, addy, visa proof etc. O and you'll need the all the tax stuff done so you are in the system etc.

If you are aiming a bit more professional you'd need good references and so on behind you.

Don't forget if you want to be able to stay for a second year you need to do your 3 months regional work. Perhaps better to get that out of the way first and hopefully give you some Aussie references to head into the cities with.

I'm sure others can tell you more. Its been a long while since I did the old backpacking and times have changed.

Also it would be helpful if you could say what city/area you are hitting first. Some people posting here may already be where you are headed and can be more specific.

Have a look at the thread down the page, title like My experience of 3 month regional work. Should give you an idea. Also browse other threads in this section as Perth is mentioned in subject lines and threads. Have a nose round some threads and you should turn up some useful stuff