Optiontown

Guest littlesarah

Guest littlesarah

Hello All

I thought I'd let you know about this company. They offer discounted upgrades or rewards for flexible travellers, on certain airlines (with whom they work in partnership).

At the moment they work with a number of airlines including Air Asia, Malaysian, Spanair, Air India, Kingfisher and SAS.

With discounted upgrades, it works like this: you pay whatever price for booking a flight with an airline. You may then enter your booking details into the optiontown website, and they retrieve your origin and destination. You can then look at the price for upgrading one or more legs of your trip. You pay upfront, and have to pay a $5 'booking fee'. The upgrade isn't guaranteed (it depends on availability), but if you don't get yours the cost is refunded to your credit card (but not the fee, which they keep). I've read a number of reviews, and it appears that this is quite a good scheme, if you're willing to pay the money and wait for a refund if you don't get upgraded.

Alternatively, there is also the 'flexibility reward option', which is where travellers willing to change their arrival day and/or time can earn money. I don't know much about that, because I'm not willing to arrive later.

For Air Asia passengers, it's possible to apply for an 'empty seat option', where you may end up with an empty seat next to you to make your journey more comfortable.

I've applied for an upgrade on the Kuala Lumpur to Amsterdam leg of my flight with Malaysian, so I'll see if my luck is in! Optiontown suggest not checking in more than 4 hours before the flight, and from what I'ver heard, the upgrade is often very last-minute. I figure, if I'm not successful on the outbound leg, I might try it on one of the inbound segments.

By the way, the cost for the upgrade is $840, which would be way cheaper than business. Given that my econ ticket was very heavily discounted, I figure I can justify the additional expense for a bit more comfort!

Has anyone else had any experience of this company?

Archived