Can i get my tax back?

Guest DanT

Hi

Was wondering if anyone can help -

I am currently on a working holiday visa which expires end of november.

Scenario 1

I heard that when you leave Australia you can get all of the tax (and Super) back. Now, if i were to leave the country for a weekend, and come back on a business visa, am i still entitled to the tax refund?

Scenario 2

I leave Australia when my visa expires and come back as a tourist. Am i still entitled?

Will the refund have any influence/effect on any future visa applications?

Thanks for the help!

Dan

Guest dwaldron

The key thing is not your visa status but whether you are considered a resident for tax purposes. This type of residency has nothing to do with whether you have permanent status in a visa sense.

there are options to get your Super when you leave but the criteria are stricxt so have a look at the following site which will answer most of your questions based on your own individual circumstances. Its worth seeing a Financial Planner if you think you qualify. The tax on the Super payout is high but better than leaving the money hear and maybe fortgetting about it!

Departing Australia superannuation payments (DASP) system help—frequently asked questions

regards

Liam

• 10 months later...

You can claim tax back and the super back on permanently leaving Australia.

You have to show proof of entry to Australia and a copy of your exit stamp, copy of id, and fill out a form stating your present residence.

I have just claimed back my super, a bit messy as I worked for several different companies, but hey I got a few grand from my super. Now to start claiming the tax!

CHeers

Caz:swoon:

Archived