457 visa travel insurance/health insurance

Guest iln

Has anyone used travel insurance as opposed to health insurance for their 457 visa application? My lawyer said I could obtain travel insurance on the agreement that I get medicare or private health insurance on arrival in Australia. However he also sent a letter that I can get my travel insurer to sign, that also has all the things the medical insurance needs to cover. However no insurer will sign it as it has a whole list of stuff but they just do it on a level of cover (price wise). I'm very confused. Has anyone applied for a visa using travel insurance? Was there any problems? Who did you go with?

Guest Finchy84

I understand you have to get specific cover for your visa to be valid, normally offered by an Australia Insurance Provider.

I know Marsh offer cover and I use IMAN/Austhealth who have been great.

Guest mikewheble
I understand you have to get specific cover for your visa to be valid, normally offered by an Australia Insurance Provider.

I know Marsh offer cover and I use IMAN/Austhealth who have been great.

I looked at Aushealth but decided to go with travel insurance as it had $10m hospital cover...would this be sufficient?

Mike

Guest liltman
Has anyone used travel insurance as opposed to health insurance for their 457 visa application? My lawyer said I could obtain travel insurance on the agreement that I get medicare or private health insurance on arrival in Australia. However he also sent a letter that I can get my travel insurer to sign, that also has all the things the medical insurance needs to cover. However no insurer will sign it as it has a whole list of stuff but they just do it on a level of cover (price wise). I'm very confused. Has anyone applied for a visa using travel insurance? Was there any problems? Who did you go with?

Hi iln.... I'm travelling on a 457 sponsorship visa and tried my hardest to get cheap cover but my Aus visa agent advised they would not issue the 457 visa without proper Health care :arghh: so i signed up to HBA Aus which are Bupa anywhere else...... :biggrin:

• 5 years later...

We had travel insurance for the journey and also HIF cover. We used the latter the second month to pay for a dental check up, and have since upgraded as she has a phobia and needs extensive work carried out (12 mth waiting list though ). Just remember that travel insurance won't cover routine stuff, nor will Medicare (just emergency treatment). We may downgrade at some point (and once we get PR our premiums will decrease anyway), but for the moment we have enough on our plate without worrying about health insurance, so at least we know we're covered as much as we can afford (we have HIF Working visa intermediate + super options), and fingers crossed we can pay the balance of any extensive work required...