Freelance work in UK?

jo688

Hello

Can anyone answer the following questions for me.

* I'm a freelance writer and write features for various UK magazines. I work for myself and pay my own self assessment tax in the UK. If I'm in Aus on an ETA or a tourist visa can I do this work remotely while I am out there or is this againt the VISA rules? I am planning on spending time with friends/family/doing touristy things but the occassional commission may pop up.

* Can you do voluntary work on an ETA? If so how many days a we and does it have to be hands on stuff i.e helping out in a homeless shelter or can you volunteer say two days a week in the office of a charity - say helping out on their website etc.

* Finally can yu marry in Oz when you're on an ETA (as long as you follow the requirements) or do you have to apply for the prospective marriage visa.

Thanks in advance

Guest siamsusie
Hello

Can anyone answer the following questions for me.

* I'm a freelance writer and write features for various UK magazines. I work for myself and pay my own self assessment tax in the UK. If I'm in Aus on an ETA or a tourist visa can I do this work remotely while I am out there or is this againt the VISA rules? I am planning on spending time with friends/family/doing touristy things but the occassional commission may pop up.

* Can you do voluntary work on an ETA? If so how many days a we and does it have to be hands on stuff i.e helping out in a homeless shelter or can you volunteer say two days a week in the office of a charity - say helping out on their website etc.

* Finally can yu marry in Oz when you're on an ETA (as long as you follow the requirements) or do you have to apply for the prospective marriage visa.

Thanks in advance

Welcome to Poms In Oz Jo.

If you are in Australia on a tourist visa, it is expressly for that purpose only. No salary/earnings must pass hands. There are severe repercussions for the employer and employee in this country.

Yes you can do voluntary work here and no there are no sets hours, again as long as no money passes hands.

Regarding marriage on an ETA I believe that the following is the case..

Legal requirements for marriage in Australia

Couples who wish to be married in Australia are required to submit a Notice of the intended marriage with their choosen celebrant. The form must be submitted at least one month before the marriage is to take place (and no earlier than six months before the marriage). This form must be signed and witnesses either by an Australian Consular Official or Diplomatic Officer.

Personal identification (such as a passport, birth certificate etc.) is also required. Check with your celebrant to ensure you have the correct legal identification.

A PMV is for the sole purpose of marrying your partner with the intention of residing in Australia. A Spouse Visa application would follow upon marriage.

A PMV has to be lodged off shore.

Susie

Archived