Is this possible?

Masken

Hi,

Obviously we still have a long way to go before we know whether we will be able to emigrate however hubby and I were talking tonight and I have a hypothetical question?

The speed that 176 visa's are being process at the moment my hubby might be working away from home when/if we are granted one. His shifts would be 3 months on 3 weeks off. If this was the case as he is the main visa applicant could I move to Australia about a year before him whilst he still worked in this job? He would obviously join us then and be with us during each of the 3 weeks off he gets.

I know this seems like a strange question but there is a reason. We are currently living in Germany and if he does change jobs then next July I could either stay in Germany alone where the kids are in school but I won't be able to get a job for various reasons. I could go back to the UK, the kids would go to a British school and I could work if I can find something to fit around the children or I could just move straight over to Australia and get the kids settled straight into an Australian school rather than constantly changing countries and schools and obviously hopefully get a job.

Would be interested to hear views.

Guest NeilEB

I believe it depends on the criteria that is stated when you get the visa. Mine has no conditions attached, but I believe some state "main applicant must arrive first".

So, I can't see why this wouldn't be possible (he'll have to go to Oz to activate the visa before a year has passed, but you'll say he'll be going out regularly anyway), but I'm not an expert.

Thank you.

We would validate the visa together so that wouldn't be a problem I thought this may be where the 'main applicant must enter first' came into it, however thinking about it maybe they mean long term.

If we can't do it then it's not the end of the world but would be a huge bonus if it was possible.

I was under the impression that a visa is issued to an individual, and doesn't depend on their spouse. Hence, for example, when couples separate it's possible for the original applicant to return to the UK whilst the other remains in Oz.

There might be a few issues with initial entry, but beyond that once the visa is activated it should be OK.

I'd suggest dropping DIAC an email and see what they say.

Good idea e-mailing DIAC will give that a try.

We've still got a long way to go before this is likely to happen (only just booked Hubby's IELTS test and signed with an agent lol). We were just prepared for a 2 year wait to even get the visa, hence my DH making enquiries about this job, but they look like they are coming through a lot quicker than that at the moment and I like to think ahead, as best I can, at all possiblities (probably one of my worst traits).

Archived