creepy crawlies

Guest Firefly

Guest Firefly

:roll:

I know, I know obvious!!!!

But with two daughters absolutely frit scared of a wasp - what advice could you give me on general creepy crawlies!

I have a phobia about snakes.................. how likely am I to come across one, please tell me its only if I was out and about in the bush.

I know this must sound like a whingin pom, before we have even got there, but put me out of my misery!

Ta

Karen :D

Guest davy

Hi Firefly,

We Bought a really informative and good book when we first arrived:

'TAKE CARE! Poisonous Australian Animals. '

by Dr Strauan Sutherland & Susie Kennewell

ISBN No: 1 86447 068 2

Its a small paperback book and covers all sorts on wildlife around Australia but mainly the snakes and spiders.

It has pictures, areas where found and other good stuff etc etc.

:D

Good Luck

Guest elsa215

:DHi wetoo live in Leicestershire and are hoping to migrate My husband has a phobia about snakes and my son is scared of anything creepy. I'm not too good with spiders but I can't wait to live the dream and I am certainly not going to let them beat me even if I have to see a pschologist before I go!!!!!!!!

Good Luck

Guest mark78

It's very rare (unless you live in an outback area) to see a snake of any kind. Growing up in Sydney, and living in Brisbane for some time, i have only ever two, and they weren't in a residential area.

Now spiders are a different story. Probably the most common house spider you will come across (in the warmer climate) is the Huntsman...see link for pic...

http://www.amonline.net.au/factsheets/huntsman_spiders.htm

Most are about the size of your palm, with their legs fully strecthed out.

These spiders have a habit of just appearing up in the corner of the wall in your house. They prefer damp spots, so the shower/bathroom is their fav place to hang out.

It doesn't matter how often you come across one, they always seem to scare the crap out of you. It's just something you never really get used too.

Anyway, they're not poisonous, so that's a bonus. Your everyday fly spray will find it very hard to kill these fellas. They run like mad when they see you and some jump. They seem to have 9 lives. Best thing to use is a broom to clobber them or sick the cat or dog onto them.

Another spider is the Red back, it's alot smaller but is poisonous and can be deadly, especially to kids if not treated in due time. You'll normally only see these spiders outside, most often under bark etc. These sipders are alot easier to kill, as they'll just sit there normally.

Other than that, you shouldn't have too many probs. Wasps and bees are around, but it's rare to get bitten by one, usually kids mucking about with them are the ones who fall victim.

If you're really scared of these things, It's best to get your house regulary fumigated and keep some high strength insect spray handy. You'll get used to them tho, we all live as one.

[/img]

Guest Chlo

I know how you feel,

Being arachnophobic I was terrified about the thought of spiders and thena friend of my husband who is australian informed me of the day he was chased down the street by a funnel web spider. I now know that he was just pulling my leg but at the time, I almost ripped up my plane ticket, but now that I have been living on the northen beaches of NSW for the past 6 months I can honestly say that you don't really get too many creepy crawlies. He have lots of Cockroaches and have had the dreaded huntsman in our house, but that was only once and when we moved in. I have seen a Funnel-web but it was laying dead on it's back and have never seen any red backs. I think if your just sensible and down go looking for the beasties then you wont see them, but it does depends on where you live. I also remember you have fly screens on all doors and windows so really nothing can get in once you have cleaned it out.

Good hunting :lol:

Why oh why did I open that Link :oops: this is the one thing which I am not looking forward to coming face to face with when I get to Auz, I break out in a sweat if I find a normal house spider in the bath!!! atleast I will probably faint if I come across one of these huntsmens..... I have told myself upon arrival I need to try and get used to it by visiting the zoo a few times to see them in real life, problem is boyfriend acts all hard generally chasing me around the house with a spider in his hand at the mo, but how will he react if he sees one of these babies,,,,,,, probably run a mile as well and just leave me lying on the floor to be Eatennnnn :roll:

Guest mark78
Why oh why did I open that Link :oops: this is the one thing which I am not looking forward to coming face to face with when I get to Auz, I break out in a sweat if I find a normal house spider in the bath!!! atleast I will probably faint if I come across one of these huntsmens..... I have told myself upon arrival I need to try and get used to it by visiting the zoo a few times to see them in real life, problem is boyfriend acts all hard generally chasing me around the house with a spider in his hand at the mo, but how will he react if he sees one of these babies,,,,,,, probably run a mile as well and just leave me lying on the floor to be Eatennnnn :roll:

If you're ever in Sydney, check out Australian Reptile world.

http://www.reptilepark.com.au

It's at Gosford, which is about a 30 min drive north of the city and is worth a day trip. You'll see all types of spiders/snakes etc. I have fond memories of when I was about 12 having a 30 foot python snake wrapped around my neck, in a show they were doing there for the public 8)

Guest mark78
I know how you feel,

Being arachnophobic I was terrified about the thought of spiders and thena friend of my husband who is australian informed me of the day he was chased down the street by a funnel web spider. I now know that he was just pulling my leg but at the time, I almost ripped up my plane ticket, but now that I have been living on the northen beaches of NSW for the past 6 months I can honestly say that you don't really get too many creepy crawlies. He have lots of Cockroaches and have had the dreaded huntsman in our house, but that was only once and when we moved in. I have seen a Funnel-web but it was laying dead on it's back and have never seen any red backs. I think if your just sensible and down go looking for the beasties then you wont see them, but it does depends on where you live. I also remember you have fly screens on all doors and windows so really nothing can get in once you have cleaned it out.

Good hunting :lol:

The most common Funnel Web Spider is the "Sydney Funnel Web", which is only found in parts of Sydney. See link...

http://www.amonline.net.au/spiders/dangerous/funnelweb/

They're highly toxis, but they don't live inside. I've never heard of anyone actually coming across one inside anyway. Most, if any are found out in the bushes, under logs etc. I've never actually seen one, well only at the zoo, so need for people to be to worried about them to much...

• 1 month later...
Guest SarahP

Like many people looking at this topic I am PETRIFIED of spiders! I have heard a few mentions of having your home sprayed. Does anyone know any more about this? Does it deter them from entering or does it kill them if they do? I looked at a link earlier and it said Huntsmen were known to hide in cars...well I can just see me driving along and then Godzilla suddenly darts across the dashboard!! Can you have cars sprayed too? We're hoping to move to Mandurah, please don't tell me this is the worst area for them!!! A little reassurance from someone please!!

Guest mark78

Mandurah will be no better nor worse than any other area. You will face spiders, it's part of Aus life.

But you can get your house professionally fumigated which will keep the cockroaches and spiders away. usually this needs to be done about once a year. Although expect one or two to get in from time to time.

Most people would not get this done, unless they have a termite problem, as most pests which will make it into your house will harmless.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest bikergirl

Hi wanted to write a question on spiders out in oz when I came across this section. after reading all the replies not sure if to laugh or cry. A tiny spider that my son finds on my shoulder will get me screaming and jumping around hitting myself like a loony.

My husband thinks he brave, but is really a wimp. remember him and several mates trying to get one of our larger spiders from another female students room, took them an awful long time and everytime it moved they all ran - in the other direction.

What do we do!!

regards

bikergirl

Guest Mel & Ed

HI everyone,

IN trying to reassure my kids about the Oz "wildlife" (spiders etc..)

I found a fantastic website with loads of pictures , where they live and how to treat bites etc, I dont know how to make a link but the site is at

http://www.avru.unimelb.edu.au/avruweb/creatable.html

and is all about australian venomous creatures.

Regards

Melanie

Guest Sunshine

Hi Guys

Well we've been here a year now and in that time I have seen 0 snakes, 0 redbacks, 0 white tips, (mind you I've not exactly been looking for them!) 1 huntsman, (in our carport) millions of coachroaches, and been bitten by bull ants and mossies which I consider to be much more of a problem!!! Both bites were bloody painful!

Seriously though, its just a bit of common sense according to where you live in oz, here in Adelaide we don't have the funnel webs so much, but have to watch out more for the red backs and white tips.

Just don't do the obvious things that will get you bitten, like sticking your bare hands into piles of bark or in between rocks, look under things when you lift them, before you sit on them, shake clothes out that have been on the floor, and just teach your kids to be a bit more aware when they are outside. They are taught what to do if they see a snake at school.

Take heart, the funnel webs may be more scary but at least you can see them coming! :lol:

Sunshine

• 7 months later...
Guest ABCDiamond
Mandurah will be no better nor worse than any other area. You will face spiders, it's part of Aus life.

But you can get your house professionally fumigated which will keep the cockroaches and spiders away. usually this needs to be done about once a year. Although expect one or two to get in from time to time.

Most people would not get this done, unless they have a termite problem, as most pests which will make it into your house will harmless.

Mark

Many people get their houses sprayed annually for pests like cockroaches, spiders etc., at a cost of about $170 (thats what we paid last time)

I think that fumigation may be different, and probably more expensive. I have visions of a house wrapped in a big bubble, and then filled with gas. (i'm sure i've seen that on an American TV show :) )

Termites are something different, and our annual sprays do NOT cover that.

• 1 month later...
Guest corinne

:(:( well i have to say i would love to live in Brisbane for many many reasons but i really am very scared of spiders, should i just stay in England. Corinne

by the way those Huntsman seem to be everywhere and they sound huge if one was to sit on me or be anywhere close to me i am sure i would simply have a coronary.

Guest ABCDiamond
:(:( well i have to say i would love to live in Brisbane for many many reasons but i really am very scared of spiders, should i just stay in England. Corinne

by the way those Huntsman seem to be everywhere and they sound huge if one was to sit on me or be anywhere close to me i am sure i would simply have a coronary.

It would be interesting to know just how common they are.

I've lived here for 16 out of the last 20 years, and have still not seen a huntsman !

I did see a small spider in the living room about 6 months ago, maybe about 5mm wide, leg span.

I am even afraid of the little UK money spiders ;)

Archived