Parents in law Dependents

Guest sinchurtis

Guest sinchurtis

Hi - below is my situation and hope someone can guide me on best option

1) I was referred to a migration agent in July 2010 who advised that I would be able to add my wife's parents as dependents to her application for 100 permanent visa and due to the financial facts and circumstances that I had provided, high possibility for being approved by the department.

2) Application was submitted in Sept 2010 to High Commission in Singapore, main (my spouse Singapore citizen) and secondary applicants (wife's parents Malaysian citizens in Singapore on dependent pass in Singapore) completed medicals, character checks, father even had to do re medicals for chest xray, etc.

3) After a long wait 7 to 8 months (with me in Australia and wife and kid of 5 years in Singapore), we have received Permanent Residence for my spouse end April 2011 but the parents were rejected on the grounds of them being still married to one another and a different "family unit" to ours. I already knew of this issue before applying but given the confidence provided by the migration agent, went ahead with the application with parents as dependents thinking that compassion would be shown...

4) My wife wants to join me down under by September but if we are to support parents over there, it is just not workable financially. Also, my daughter of 5 has always been taken care of by them.

Options and concerns in my mind as I see it are as follows:

Option 1 - Apply for online 676 six months tourist visaTourist visa (Subclass 676) with possibility of extending for another 6 months if 8503 condition is not imposed. If condition is imposed, they go back to Singapore and apply for another 6 months visa. Concern here is given they have applied for dependency and got rejected, will they also reject the visitor visa? How best to approach this?? Do I need to mention that they applied for dependency and got rejected - and mention that they now only seek to visit...

Option 2 - Apply for ETA (Visitor) (Subclass 976) with the intention of applying for onshore contributory visa once they are in the country for 6 months or so. This is assuming 8503 condition is not imposed. As my wife is a qualified medical professional and hope by this time she will have a steady job in Australia and further my daughter is already enrolled in school here planning to start next year, she would meet the "settled" criteria. I will be the sponsor - Concern here is that my wife must have been a PR for 2 years even though I am the sponsor?? Another concern is that the department might still impose the 8503 condition even though it is 3 months?

Option 3 - Similar to option 2 above except that the contributory visa is applied offshore again after 6 months or so. Same concerns as Option 2 - Additional concern is once they apply for the contributory visa offshore, will they be rejected visitor visas while their application is being processed?

Thanks for your time in reading this and hope you can guide.

Guest siamsusie

Hi Sinchurtis,

A very big welcome to you here on Poms In Oz.

I cant answers any of your questions, hopefully you will receive some good advice shortly.

Very best wishes

Susie x

Guest sinchurtis

Thanks Susie - I hope Jill who seems to be an expert on these matters provide a response. Appreciate if you are able to move it to the parents migration thread was not sure how to post it directly within this thread as that is where this fits.

Cheers

Archived