Commercial Diver

KD79UK

Hi

Posting this for a friend, he is a commercial diver currently on a construction project in Aus, but he is currently only on a 456 Business short stay visa. He would like to stay in Australia, he is registered to dive in Australia and has spent the last 5 years in the middle east on projects with the same profession. Anyone have any ideas about visa opportunities or people to speak re getting a sponsorship? Im usually quite good at looking at the angles on this but this one Im a bit stumped.

Cheers :biggrin:

His occupation of 399911 Diver is listed as eligible for a subclass 457 temporary employer sponsored visa, but from there, as far as I can see, his only chance of a permanent visa would be if he meets the requirements for and can get employer sponsorship for a Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (Subclass 119/857) visa.

His occupation doesn't appear on any of the lists that are eligible for a permanent visa. The 119/857 RSMS visa doesn't have a list of eligible occupations and that's why it may work for him with his evident level of expertise in his field.

Temporary Business (Long Stay) - Standard Business Sponsorship (Subclass 457) 457 visa

Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (Subclass 119/857) 119/857 RSMS visa

I imagine he would be in a better position than people on PIO to know how to contact potential employers/sponsors but he'll need to keep in mind that the employer must be in a regional area and the work must also be in a regional area.

Hi thanks for this it seems like some new rules came into play since I had a 457 back in 2008! I have an 857 and at the time my occupation disappeared off the skills list (it was only ENSOL anyway!) and I was told this visa didn't rely on skills list I believe this is still the case, I think his company went for the 457 to begin with but Immi were a bit funny as to why they couldn't use Aussie divers. I wonder if they didn't query the technical nature of the work enough but it's something to run with that Code for his occupation is helpful cheers for your response! Much appreciated! :)

Archived