Creepy Crawlies

Guest Arnold

Guest Arnold

Hello all,

Myself, husband and two children are in the process of applying to Oz! Having just completed the TRA application, and about to post it, I have started to worry enormously about the creepy crawlies in Oz! (Bit late I guess). To be honest I am petrified. Both my children are avid bug hunters and the thought of this terrifies me. I don't want this to put me off wanting to go but the thought of those massive and deadly spiders makes me feel quite ill. Please can anyone put my mind a rest and tell me that it's not that bad.......please!

Any reassuring response very much welcome!

Thank you

Guest ABCDiamond
Hello all,

Myself, husband and two children are in the process of applying to Oz! Having just completed the TRA application, and about to post it, I have started to worry enormously about the creepy crawlies in Oz! (Bit late I guess). To be honest I am petrified. Both my children are avid bug hunters and the thought of this terrifies me. I don't want this to put me off wanting to go but the thought of those massive and deadly spiders makes me feel quite ill. Please can anyone put my mind a rest and tell me that it's not that bad.......please!

Any reassuring response very much welcome!

Thank you

I hate spiders aswell, even the tiny little ones.

But, they aren't as bad as some make out ;)

We rarely get them in the house. We have had maybe 2 or 3 in the last year, and they were little ones, I saw more in my old house in the UK !

Some people see the big ones, but maybe I've been lucky as I haven't seen a big one in a house here yet.

Maybe when I have been here longer I may get to see one. I moved to Australia in 1986 :D

However, if you live in, or near, the bush, you WILL see much more of the wildlife.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Emiloo

Thanks for that i feel much better now ha ha

where in oz are you going and how long till you get there

we cant bloody wait

Guest scoop

Hoping to go to a place called Maryborough, near Fraser Island. That's if there is a job when the visa is ready!!

Visa went in mid march, just had to spend all my dosh on getting car through MOT so having to do a bit of scrimping to get my medicals done!!

All good things come to those who wait!! So they say.

SCoop :lol:

Guest Emiloo

Know how you feel,

This is one move thats gonna cost a bomb but hey its well worth it

sorry to be so dumb but where on earth is fraser island ????????

Guest scoop

East Coast hun 'bout hour n half two hours north of Brisbane.

Lots of whales n Dolphins, just hope there is a job in one of the hospitals when I am ready. Otherwise Brisbane it is.

SCoop

"Life is what happens whilst you are making plans"

Guest Emiloo

Sounds lovely

we need to be near the ocean as i swim like a fish and our 11yr old daughter scuba dives like a grown man shes really good and thats a bit of the reason we are going, scuba diving in southend on sea really isnt the same is it ha ha ,

Im sure youll get work in a hospital ,work like that is always needed isnt it,

Me im a house wife and i can do that anywhere ha ha

But we have to go where my husband can get work ,hes a graphic designer in publications,and he wants to go to sydney ,but that has no appeal to me,

I want a total life change

Emiloo 8)

Guest scoop

Sydney is lovely too. I had a year there and it felt nothing like London, property not cheap though, but if you find the right suburb you can be near the ocean.

Guest Emiloo

uumm not sure , i think sydney would be a tad too busy for us ,

i really havent got a clue where to go ,i think we are gonna have to get on a plane and have a wonder round ,but with all the kids this is gonna be crazy !!!

:?

Guest choobs
Just big and hairy hun, not dangerous :shock:

SCoop

x

But they do jump :shock:

They also like to hide under the dash an cars and leap across the steering wheel at inopportune moments ;-)

Choobs

Guest Emiloo

Greeaaattt!!!!!

Memo to ones self,

must send husband out to check car over before i start the school run, :shock:

thanks for you kind words ha ha ha :wink:

Guest Arnold

SCoop

x

They also like to hide under the dash an cars and leap across the steering wheel at inopportune moments ;-)

Choobs

:cry: :cry: I was feeling a wee bit better about the spiders until I read this one today.....don't fancy meeting up with one this way, may crash the car! Car checking will definetly be on the rota for the hubby!

Guest Arnold

SCoop

x

Choobs

:cry: :cry: I was feeling a wee bit better about the spiders until I read this one today.....don't fancy meeting up with one this way, may crash the car! Car checking will definetly be on the rota for the hubby!

Guest Emiloo

Try not to worry

I know im gonna FREAK OUT when i see a huntsman for the first time ,im jumping up and down in my seat just thinking about it.

Gonna send poor hubby out first thing to check car over before the school run every morning, and ill prob go to bed with a large can of spider spray every night :oops:

But hey theres worst things in the uk , we had mice last year[we live on farm land] and i came down stairs one evening to find my 6 foot2 husband standing on a chair with a mop in his hand hysterical!!!!

So if we can deal with the killer mouse bring on the spiders !!!ha ha ha :shock:

Guest Arnold

Fair play to you. I am certainly NOT going to let this ruin everything for us. My boys love bugs....so am sure they will help me!

Thanks for the support, and goodluck to you.

Will keep reading to hear your progress. :D

• 2 weeks later...
Guest lainey

ok, now i wish i never found this topic LOL! but i guess we need to learn about them pesky eight legged freaks :D I hadnt given much thought to mosquitos though :oops: how bad are they and is any one part of Oz worse than others for them? ive never been abroad so never had to deal with them before, are they out on the attack all day and night?

Guest stevenglish

Hi

Not a big fan of spiders myself, specially the funnelwebs that live in trees HOLY CRAP. I've been told that draught excluders on doors keep most of the nasties out of the house. Gotta say though if I ever see a mouse spider close up, i'm gonna lose all bowel control. Simple rule I suppose is find out which habitat they like and don't go there, can't be done with the dunny spiders but there's always a colostomy bag. I'm not gonna let this put me off tho, if you respect nature chances are it won't bite you plus i find it all fascinating from a distance

steve

Guest scoop

Hi Steve

Spent a year out there a while ago and only met two spiders, both huntsman one in a house and one in a remote area. I spent most of my time looking at the other beautiful wildlife which distract you beautifully.

Just tell the Aussie's about bumble bees they will not believe you :wink:

Good luck with your plans hun.

SCoop

x

Guest scott&lisa

ok, this talk of spiders is really beginning to freak me out - just when I think I know the names of all the potential spiders that are going to jump at me, run across the dash board at me and so on, another one is mentioned. Snakes I can deal with, spiders on the other hand.....

Anyone know of a good hypnotherapist!!!! Need to get this phobia sorted out!!!

Lisa.

Archived