Hi to all

pintpot

Hi all

New guy on the forum - I'm currently interviewing with an Australian company and it's looking very good, to the point where I'm shortly expecting an offer

So, I have to do some rapid research as to costs, practicalities etc etc so I'm in a position to accept it (or not!)

Hence why I'm here, and will be looking for info and help. I haven't held a long-held dream to head to Aus, I just got approached and it looks like a great opportunity - tbh I've only ever visited twice, and they were very short visits, although my Sis in Law lives in Sydney

Cheers!

:)

Hi there.

Welcome to the forum, and congrats on the possible chance of moving to Oz.

I expect it will be a 457 long term sponsored temp visa if you do get the job offer. These can be processed very quickly, normally just a few weeks.

Have a good read on the pro's & cons of a 457. We came over on one nearly 4 years ago, and it was fine, but they do have downsides.

To give an idea on what to expect, let us know a bit more about the offer.

Where would you expect to be positioned (which state & which place)

Do you have kids? (not all schooling is free in some states on a 457)

what kind of lifestyle do you fancy? City living & beach living can be higher rental costs depending on where you settle.

etc ect.

• 1 month later...

Hi again - things went quiet for a bit (as did I!) but this is looking very on now

They have offered me a job and we are in the final stages of negotiating the salary package. I'm a company director so I don't have some of the worries many do when it comes to the cash, but I've still got a list of a million and one things I'll need to do

The company I'm going to work for is a very large Aus construction company, so I'm confident they'll have the admin infrastructure to handle the visa and relocation stuff, which will make life easier - they have pulled quite a few people over from the UK recently

I'll be travelling on a 457 to begin with, but it's a permanent position. We think we'll give it a year or two to see if it will suit us for the longer term, and if so apply for residency then, but at the moment we'll be keeping our options open.

Location is also being finalised at present - either Melbourne or Brisbane. They did speak to me about those two and Perth, but I opted for East Coast for the simple reason that either are within sensible weekend visit distance for the wife's Sydney-based sister. From what we've read (this is sight unseen, we've only ever been to Sydney) we'd be happy with either, there are pros and cons with both

We have one son, who is 4 in June, and errr, 2 on the way due in October, which is where things get complicated. We either have to come over in July-August, or leave it until Christmas. We'd like to do it earlier if at all possible, but recognise this is going to be a stretch!

So, when I nail location I will be no doubt trying to find out as much as I can, as quickly as I can, about the city we'll be landing in! In the meantime thanks for your kind welcomes

Cheers

PP

:)

Archived