Citizenship by descent

Guest tatterdemalion

Guest tatterdemalion

Hi,

Bit of a newbie on here, but I am applying for citizenship by descent - my dad was an Australian, he is long since dead and I have no family in Oz that I know of, but think it is time to get out of England and return 'home'.

Does anyone know how long it takes for the citizenship to be processed once you have sent everything off?

Thanks, Tat.

Guest HelenaBooth

Hello

My boyfriends dad was from Oz, he died when my boyfriend was very young.

But his birth certif said he was Australian, which we thought..... hey thats good.

So we sent it all off with all the forms and got his Citizenship by decent certificate about a week after, (its pretty naff certificate but yay!)

You can track it online, and by emailing the High Commision in London.

Then we had to apply for the passport, which we had to take it all down to the Australian high commission in London, with pictures to have an interview and prove identity.

Then his Australian passport came in a just under two weeks :o)

Hope this helps.

Feel free to ask me stuff, I might know.... not promising mind !!

hehe

xx

Guest tatterdemalion

Hi Thanks for that. I posted the forms off to Australia House at the beginning of this week, so fingers crossed that they rubber stamp it and send me the certificate soon. I called them up and they offered no info over the phone. I just want to get on and organise my flights.

Guest HelenaBooth
they offered no info over the phone. I just want to get on and organise my flights.

Yeah they are a bit grump at the High Commision..... If you go to London to it I dont think I saw one smile.... :huh: must be london getting to them *as they mostly Australians work there*

Had to wait for 3 hours.... its a sit and wait basis for passport & to pay for it.

3 HOURS!!! with BBC news 24! geeze

x

Guest Abi&Dan

I thought mine was beeeyoootiful!! Nice picture of Roo and Emu (well at least they get them there unlike the British Unicorn and Lion!?)

Just to ditto on this - my cert came through in about a week after sending my dad's citizenship cert off and my passport came through in 10 days after the extremely long boring wait at the commission (didn't even think to take a book!!) - but my guy was a very friendly Londoner - so maybe the Aussies are just down about missing the great lifestyle in Oz and being stuck in London!

Guest tatterdemalion

The Aussies definitely seem more efficient than the Brits at paperwork. I had to send off to the WA Govt for dad's birth certificate and that arrived within 10 days of me sticking the form in the post. They even sent my passport back by special delivery quicker than that. Compare that to the 40 days for the police check.

The biggest logistical and financial hurdle is getting my dog out there. £2500 or thereabouts with Golden Arrow. They seem to have a lot of recommendations. I hope for that money he gets a good range of inflight movies. Cattle class tends to be awful.

Archived