???<Duel Citezenship and traveling, Best Options>???

Guest skipp123

Guest skipp123

Hey all,

Im currently planning my long awaited trip back to Australia for early 2011. From Sydney upto Cairns. But I have a few questions if you don’t mind.

Im planning to fly straight into Sydney and stop in a cheep hostel near bondi for say 5 days, whilst I try and find a campervan and a few mates to come along. :}

Now I have duel nationality, so am I better off entering the country on my Australian passport, or my British one? I will be travelling around for upto a year but unsure of legality as I only have a full uk licence not a Australian one, do I need to exchange my uk licence for a Australian one or can I just travel about on my UK licence then when my travels are done apply for a full Australian one? The trip is to gauge weather I want to settle in aus or return to UK.

What are the best locations in Sydney to find campervans? Heard of a road and a market that takes place every so often {details/feedback}

If I buy a camper in Sydney registered in Sydney do I need a road worthy cert on purchase? Or is it as long as it has rego just a case of getting in and driving?

How easy is it to re register the car when rego expires and rough cost?

What is the rough cost of campervan insurance?

I had been looking at the following sites for campervans and 2nd hand travelling items, feel free to add to my list.

Gumtree.com.au

Carsales.com.au

Ebay.com.au

And these two sites for activities and travel attractions, again feel free to add to the list.

CAMPSITE ACCOMMODATION, CAMPSITES, ACCOMMODATION, CAMPING GROUNDS, CARAVAN PARKS, AUSTRALIA, AUSTRALIAN CAMPSITE ACCOMMODATION

Things to Do, Attractions, Tours & Activities @ ExplorOz

any help with the above would be greatly received,

:chatterbox:

Guest Guest31881

Hi,

You enter Australia using your Australian passport, They are very yparticular about this and if you have an australian passport you must use it to leave and enter Australia. My wife is duel nationality and uses her Australian to leave and enter Australia, and her Uk passport to leave and enter UK.

Also if you tried to use your UK passport to get in you would need a visa.

As you are a passport holder I think you have to obtain an Australian licence, you may have up to 6 months.

Passport to enter Australia - as an Australian citizen, DIAC asks that you always use your Australian passport to enter the country. It's the most definitive proof of your right to enter Australia.

If you use your British passport, you'll most likely need an e-Visitor visa which would cost you and only allow you to stay in the country for 6 months. If you don't leave, DIAC'll think a British tourist has overstayed!

Drivers licences. My understanding is that visitors can drive in Australia while they are a temporary resident. If you have intention to continue living in Australia you're supposed to convert your UK licence to a local Australian one within 3 months (if your UK ones is valid you'll most likely not need a driving test). Since you're undecided as to whether you'll be staying or going back to the UK, i'd suggest just using your UK licence until you've decided, then convert it if you've decided to stay. The licensing authority is different between states. In NSW, it's the RTA. (RTA Home Page)

Unless you wanted to also have an Australian licence, then there's no need to convert if you decide to return to the UK. It'll cost you to get an Australian licence (btw have you had one in the past?) and they'll punch a hole in your UK one to invalidate it.

Not sure about the road worthy thing since the laws are different between states, but you should find the info on registration (incl costs) on the RTA website (for NSW).

You must always enter and leave Australia on your Australian passport and you have no choice about that. Nobody can travel to Australia without a visa or ETA/eVisitor travel authority and Australian citizens can't get any of those.

As a citizen, you are only allowed to drive on a foreign licence for 3 months after you arrive (6 months in Victoria). It doesn't matter if you intend staying or not - a newly arrived citizen is assumed to be a resident. After the 3 (or 6) months, you are considered to be driving unlicensed and won't be covered by insurance so it's a very bad idea to do so.

You can bring any amount of cash (i.e. currency), but if it's over $10,000 or the equivalent, you must declare it. There's no downside to doing so; it won't be confiscated and you're not taxed on it or anything like that, but it must be declared.

Guest skipp123
You must always enter and leave Australia on your Australian passport and you have no choice about that. Nobody can travel to Australia without a visa or ETA/eVisitor travel authority and Australian citizens can't get any of those.

As a citizen, you are only allowed to drive on a foreign licence for 3 months after you arrive (6 months in Victoria). It doesn't matter if you intend staying or not - a newly arrived citizen is assumed to be a resident. After the 3 (or 6) months, you are considered to be driving unlicensed and won't be covered by insurance so it's a very bad idea to do so.

You can bring any amount of cash (i.e. currency), but if it's over $10,000 or the equivalent, you must declare it. There's no downside to doing so; it won't be confiscated and you're not taxed on it or anything like that, but it must be declared.

so its a case of come over on my aussie passport, get the campervan and get going, say a month and half in i will need to get my Australian licence. How easy is this to obtain and how do i go about getting one?

re cash i will fingers crossed have over $10,000 so can i walk through the airport/customs and just declare i have x amount of funds?

i have never held a Australian driving licence, but i have had my uk one for over 6 years and its clean still {somehow}

Guest Guest31881

if bringing over $10000 in cash it may be best to have some proof of where it came from, as they like to check to stop money laundering. To change driving licence you will need to be able to provide an address. Visit the traffic office in the town you are in, fill in forms, pay money, licence issued. I have a QLD licence and they just gave me my UK licence back

Guest skipp123
if bringing over $10000 in cash it may be best to have some proof of where it came from, as they like to check to stop money laundering. To change driving licence you will need to be able to provide an address. Visit the traffic office in the town you are in, fill in forms, pay money, licence issued. I have a QLD licence and they just gave me my UK licence back

does it matter where the adress is? i will be living with my father in Melbourne when the travels end, so can i apply for a QLD licence providing them with a VIC adress? or will i have to get a VIC licence as thats where my adress is.

money will be from selling a car/gift from parents. recipt from sale of car and a letter from the rents suitable?

sorry for all the newb questions just dont want any suprises when i start my travels, ie if you think my best option is to go to my fathers straight away {melbourne} get the licence arranged then take a intercountry flight to sydney and start my travel plans from there. ???

Guest Guest31881

you have have to apply for a licence in the state you home address is in.

Reciept for car sale should be fine, but if you are moving that much money have you thought of using a forex company to exchange and transfer money. you would get a better deal

Guest skipp123

right so that ****s that plan up lol,

so basicly its going to have to be....

cash money up, fly into melbourne, meet father, get VIC licence all sorted so i have a AUS driving licence, then fly to sydney, buy campervan, go traveling, + have no worries bar renewing rego.

Guest skipp123

do cars/campervans need to be sold in the same state they are registered in?

only asking as if they do i will buy a van in melbourne as i will be residing there after travels {would be able to sell from fathers}, if they dont i will fly to sydney buy a van travel around and sell it from melbourne when im done traveling

again sorry for stupid posts

Guest Guest31881

You can sell in any state, providing you meet the rules of that state, (road worthy cert & Stuff) the buyer has a set time to register in the new state and return number plates back to origional state

Read up on the VicRoads licence transfer info on the following.

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/Licences/NewToVictoria/InterstateAndNZDriversLicences.htm

They only talk about interstate and NZ licences, but I guess that's because they assume that any Aussies will already have an Australian licence. Anyway, they will want proof of your Victorian residential address and the best way to provide that will be if you have a bank account where statements are sent to your father's address. A bank statement addressed to you is an acceptable proof of residential address. Join Medicare as soon as you arrive so you'll have a Medicare card as a secondary proof of identity document.

Archived