ahhhhhhhhhhhhh

Guest silverstargazer38

Guest silverstargazer38

as a time served plasterer with knowledge of all aspects of construction i feel very annoyed to see these adverts learnto be a plasterer/joiner plumber etc etc in 5 yes 5 days it took me over 4 years and 20 years of work to get where i am and personally feel slated by these courses so all i can say is thank god they are strict as to who they let in as trades men in oz perhaps we will get more respect over there for that and if not at least we wont have to keep putting other peoples work right that they thought it would be easy to do these courses should be closed down they dont do ones for gas fitting in 5 yes 5 days or become a brain surgeon in same time and yes it takes just aslong to learn that as it does our trades sorry for that but feel better now its of my chest

Guest fatpom

I agree entirely. I meet a lot of people from all sorts of countries & backgrounds who claim to have apprenticeships but its imediately obvious they've just acquired a piece of paper from some dubious source. Sadly a lot of younger poms don't get a proper apprenticeship anymore either - the traditional system simply appears to have died off?

As for more respect over here - I'm afraid not mate! The suits will call you a Bogan:) & if they don't call you it they'll likely be thinking it.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest mandy1

I know exactly what you mean! Its the same with the plumbing as well. My oh is a plumbing/heating engineer and it took years as an apprentice to gain qualifications and then years jobbing to get the experience. There is a college near us that is churning out so called qualified plumbers after 6 weeks! Its ridiculous as these people end up completely out of their depth.

Mandy x

Guest uksniper

The people who do these courses are either DIY enthusiasts or someone looking to start in a new trade. However I do agree that a 5 day course does not make you good at something, but experience does make you one. Were you an expert after 5 days? You said it yourself "it took me over 4 years and 20 years of work to get where I am".

Why are you all whining about these amateurs. You will still be able to charge a fortune for putting right their mistakes. (I'm not a plumber or a plasterer)

Guest Ryan, Rachel & Beth

Think my hubby would agree with you on this one. He's a Sparky and this is true for his trade too. He's been in the trade for 11 years and running his own business for the last 6 years and its so frustrating learning of new 'overnight' tradesmen! I think its insulting and the true professionals have to tidy up the mess that the 'novices' have caused, infact it is these 'overnight sparkys/plumbers/plasterers' that give the real tradesmen a bad name!

Fingers crossed that all the tests we've been put through for our Visas will be worth while! Its one of the reasons we love Australia so much... they don't let any tom, dick or harry in to the country thank god!

Chin up, hopefully we are all heading over to a better run country!

Rachel x

Guest Ryan, Rachel & Beth

I never thought of it that way Chell. I guess your right and on 2nd thinking there are probably a lot of people that have been in the trade for years and years and they could be included as some of the 'cowboys'. I'm sure the course itself is fine, its just the people that start up a business from nowhere and haven't even worked for someone in that trade that annoy me.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I wouldn't get treated by a surgeon who had only done a weeks course and not worked in the medical profession before or in less drastic format...I wouldn't get my hair cut by someone that had only done a 'crash course'.

We have all got to start somewhere and you are right, you can't get the experience unless you've got a job in that trade. I just think that the government put order of importance in the wrong order (if that makes sense)?!

Rach x

Archived