Does Australia Need Fridgies Or Is It A Myth

Guest sansomg

Guest sansomg

Hello to anyone who can help !

I'm looking for advise on what I can do as I'm meant to be migrating to Brisbane in January and have not even got my visa yet............ Stupid boy I here you all say ! I agree

I'm a senior engineer/field supervisor for Carrier Air Conditioning based in London and have a HNC as well as multiple trade qualifications and 6 years experience behind me, so why cant I seem to find a decent job ?

My partner is Australain and needs to go back home for January to retain her job with the education department, I'm sending my visa application away on Monday now I have the stat decs as I'm going on a interdependant visa and NOT a skilled persons one.

The main problem I have is that my company have done internal transfers for employees in the past but don't seem to be helping me much in that department, so I'm looking for alternate employers can anyone tell me how much does a fridgie with my expe/quali's gets paid, I dont want to leave my job in the UK that pays well and has career oppurtunities then get over there and have to work in Bunnings because I dont have the necessary paperwork.

I would appreicate any feedback as I'm starting to get a little concerned about how much time I dont have.

I'm looking to go to Brisbane by the way !

Thank You In Advance Gregg

Guest wardy

My OH works in industrial air con, ventilation chiiled water etc for the past 20 years

We have emailed loads of companies but they are not interested in talking to you until you arrive in the country. we have been advised however that there is so much work you can just walk into jobs once you arrive especially in Brisbane as they are suppossed to be building new hospitals.

Is HNC the same as a degree (not sure sorry) I was under the impression that over there to be an engineer you had to have a full degree (sorry if I am wrong).

Unfortunately most trades need to get the proper paper work and licences theres no avoiding it, you may have to bite the bullet and wait or head over and set up some interviews as soon as you have your visa, to avoid not having work before you arrive.

Most of us are in the same position i'm afraid.

Kaye

Guest sansomg

Hi Kaye,

Thankyou for your response, I'm starting to realise that neither the comapnies in Oz or the Australian goverment is trying to make life asy for us little pommies, I suppose it's reassuring that it's not as easy to get there as it is for people to get into England, One of the many reasons many people are leaving I guess.

I have got a few contacts in Oz that have gone through the process but are in different states to which I'm going so they have not been able to help that much.

You could try Hays recruitment they are a Sydney based company but have an office in London and they can line up interviews and contacts for you before leaving.

Has your OH got any idea of what the money is going to be like compartively from the Uk, I've had some people say $70K and then others say $120k.

Thanks again Gregg

Guest wardy

I suspect with my OH not being engineer wages maybe less have seen wages quoted for what you have mentioned for engineers not at the top end though.

Hubby may as well be engineer he has had to do their job on a number of occassions, they did offer to put him through his degree but didnt want to go back to school likes doing what he does, no pressure and a good laugh.

We have a number of contacts in Qld who have offered to help him with work situation when out there but have seen Hays on job sites so may well look into that.

I think he would like some time off before he starts looking for work though but I will crack the whip.

Dont think there are that many people doing this kind of work on this forum well i've never meanaged to find tham and i've been on here a year.

Not that I am advocating another site and PIO is the best but there are a few air con engineers on the British expats site who may be able to point you in the right direction for info.

Have you tried the AIRAH website Australian Institute of Refrigeration Air Conditioning and Heating you may find something on there. Just click on it for some reason wont let me use website name.

Best wishes

Kaye

Archived