Been living in Darwin nearly 3 months

Guest geordie mandy

Guest geordie mandy

Not been on here for ages as life got way to busy and i had to concentrate on finishing a degree then a graduation ceremony all before emigrating in June.

My take on Darwin it is a very freindly place, plenty of places to visit and lots to do. It is growing on me however when our time up in a few years come i will be pleased to leave with happy memories.

The one thing i find frustating is how expensive it is, we have 3 boys and are struggling big time with just one wage coming in. Once the rent is paid, car payment, private health and bills are paid we can only just manage to get food shopping in every week.

Im looking for work so that we can afford the little extra's like letting the boys go to the cinema, paid for 2 of them to go last month with freinds and nearly $100 was gone.

Our youngest has had a lot of visits to drs and blood tests all which have cost money, although we have been able to claim some back on medicare.

For those coming to live in Darwin give it a shot but make sure your are going to be earning a decent wage and by that i mean more than $70k a year, anything less then you will struggle.

The dry season is coming to an end here and boy am i noticing the difference in humidity and heat, im sure i will adapt and aclimatise.

In general we love living here knowing it is not forever and are trying to explore as much as we can, when we can.

Good luck to those arriving soon.

Mandy

Guest tartan girl

Hi Mandy,

We have been here for nearly 4 years and yes Darwin is expensive. Rents are very high as there is more demand than availability and the cost of living is high due to the remoteness of Darwin and the need to get most things shipped in.

Other cities in Australia are cheaper - don't know if you plan to move on elsewhere in Australia? We do after fulfilment of visa obligations.

We have tried to see as much as possible whilst here - camped in Litchfield, Kakadu and Katherine Gorge. The deck chair cinema is a great place to go, either with a picnic or buy food there, they do family tickets (have to check for suitable films - don't know what age your kids are). The water park at Leanyer is free but can get very busy. Lake Alexander is also lovely for a picnic and swim and there is a large play park there too.

You probably will find the Wet season a bit challenging.

Try and enjoy the differences whilst here.

All the best!

• 3 months later...
Hi Mandy,

We have been here for nearly 4 years and yes Darwin is expensive. Rents are very high as there is more demand than availability and the cost of living is high due to the remoteness of Darwin and the need to get most things shipped in.

Other cities in Australia are cheaper - don't know if you plan to move on elsewhere in Australia? We do after fulfilment of visa obligations.

We have tried to see as much as possible whilst here - camped in Litchfield, Kakadu and Katherine Gorge. The deck chair cinema is a great place to go, either with a picnic or buy food there, they do family tickets (have to check for suitable films - don't know what age your kids are). The water park at Leanyer is free but can get very busy. Lake Alexander is also lovely for a picnic and swim and there is a large play park there too.

You probably will find the Wet season a bit challenging.

Try and enjoy the differences whilst here.

All the best!

Dear Tartan girl.

I'd like information on monthly costs of living in the Northern Territories.

Specifically I would appreciate some details of regular and adhoc payments .

Examples of regular payments that would be helpful are:-

Mortgage/Rent

Water

Electricity

Gas

Tax (Rates/Council Tax equivalent if any)

Health Care (Including Doctors/Dentist/Opticians)

Insurance

House Buildings/Contents

Goods Insurance (ie, washin machine)

Funding a Car

Leisure activities

Yours & other members input is appreciated.

Regards.

Roxcy.

Archived