Creepie Crawlies - HELP

Guest sunshineec

Guest sunshineec

Hi everyone

My husband and I made the move down-under about 3 months ago and are currently in NZ trying to decide whether to stay or move on to Oz (it was heaps easier getting into NZ initially)?! It's generally an "easy" one, as we have already left families behind, etc and are moving along the chain of emotions of excitement, homesickness, etc already... My only hesitant issue is creepie crawlies - I am PETRIFIED of the size of especially spiders in OZ :x !! Can anyone who's already there/ has been shed some light on how they are coping with that and how it might affect kids :?: ?

THANKS

Eileen

Guest ABCDiamond
Hi everyone

My husband and I made the move down-under about 3 months ago and are currently in NZ trying to decide whether to stay or move on to Oz (it was heaps easier getting into NZ initially)?! It's generally an "easy" one, as we have already left families behind, etc and are moving along the chain of emotions of excitement, homesickness, etc already... My only hesitant issue is creepie crawlies - I am PETRIFIED of the size of especially spiders in OZ :x !! Can anyone who's already there/ has been shed some light on how they are coping with that and how it might affect kids :?: ?

THANKS

Eileen

I hate spiders too. I have to get my wife to kill any that we get. I even hated the little money spiders in the UK !!!

My Tips:

Have the annual pest control done, about every 9 months, to avoid that little period that you begin to see the odd spiders.

Get those electronic spider control gadgets (about $45 ? ) We have one in the kitchen and never see spiders there.

Keep spider spray available nice and handy. (More of a comfort thing these days) :)

Kids generally have no problems with them, they get used to it very quick ;)

I think so much talk about them has overrated it all :)

Guest sunshineec

Hey Diamond

Finally a guy who knows how I feel. Luckily my hubbie will kill anything too scary if need be, but then I can't always have him around either?!

Do you have any more info on the gadets, what do they do? Do they just alert you or actually spray the spiders, etc? Do you guys live in the city or further out or does that not really make a difference anyway?

Hm, so much stress over something "so small", hehe...

Thanks for all your info!

Guest ABCDiamond
Hey Diamond

Finally a guy who knows how I feel. Luckily my hubbie will kill anything too scary if need be, but then I can't always have him around either?!

Do you have any more info on the gadets, what do they do? Do they just alert you or actually spray the spiders, etc? Do you guys live in the city or further out or does that not really make a difference anyway?

Hm, so much stress over something "so small", hehe...

Thanks for all your info!

It's a plug-in gadget, that emits an ultrasonic noise. Mine is the Arlec SC1202. They say spiders don't like it and go away.

When I got it, we had a horrible looking spider outside a window, and thought it was ideal to test it. The spider had its big web there, and had been there for days. I plugged it in and put it by the window, inside the house. A few hours later the spider had gone and it never came back.

Since then I have had it plugged in 24 hours a day, and I do feel that it really works.

I can't find info on my model, but this link: http://www.gadgetcentral.com.au/pages/product.asp?ProductID=848 gives an idea of it.

Note they do say: "We make no guarantees that this device will solve your particular problem, but there are thousands of people who swear by them."

I was sceptical at first, but I am either very lucky, or the pest control spray works well or my gadget actually works :)

We live in the suburbs, 37km from Brisbane CBD. A mix of housing estates and open space. We have about a 6 acre open space behind our back fence.

The more rural you are, the more likely to get wildlife. But I think spiders are just at home in our houses as anywhere.

You do need to get used to seeing them in the gardens, but avoiding them is easier than I used to think :D

Guest ABCDiamond

Luckily my hubbie will kill anything too scary if need be, but then I can't always have him around either?!
Do what I do... Put a bucket or something over the spider, then a couple of yellow pages on the bucket to hold it down ( I know they aren't that strong, but I believe in being safe), then it's there and waiting for when the other half gets home :D

Guest sunshineec

Wow, such good thinking... guess you become fairly ingenious after a while - sure I'd learn :idea: . I shall certainly invetsigate those gadgets!

Thanks for the great advice, as I will try anything I reckon :shock:!! We are looking at the Brisbane area ourselves, as my husband's uncle and family are in Upper Coomera and we really liked Brizzy when we had a look last year. Off over there again in April to make a more definite decision!

Anyway, thanks again for sharing your Ozzie wisdom :wink: !

Eileen

Archived