Wages

Guest mandymoo

Guest mandymoo

Hello,

I wonder if anyone can help us with a dilema we have. My husband has been offered a job in Oz, paying a salary of $35,000 per annum. Is this good????? Just not too sure of the cost of living.

Would be good to hear your thoughts.

Thanks.

Amanda

Hi Amanda

From my calculations, $35,000 p/a works out at about £13,500 p/a I think so it depends on how much you need to live on!

Jackie

Guest ABCDiamond
Hello,

I wonder if anyone can help us with a dilema we have. My husband has been offered a job in Oz, paying a salary of $35,000 per annum. Is this good????? Just not too sure of the cost of living.

Would be good to hear your thoughts.

Thanks.

Amanda

Comparison (National) average wages are:

UK: Feb 2005 £22,411

Australia: Aug 2005 $53,175

So comparing what you are used to in the UK, as % of the UK average, should give a guide to what you would require over here, for a similar standard.

However, many people do start off on lower wages, gain local experience, and then move up the ladder again.

Out of $35,000 you would pay $7197 in tax and Medicare, leaving $27,803 in hand, or $534 per week net.

If you have children, also take onto account the FTB you get as the Child Benefit equivalent.

As an example of FTB, a family with 2 kids aged 5-13 with a single income of $35,000 per year, would receive about $170 per week (net) in FTB (Child) benefits.

Cost of living varies a lot, and is difficult to give estimates.

Archived