Forest Lake

Shaz36

Hi,

Is there anyone on here living in Forest Lake that can give an insight into what its like? I did research it a while back, and visited whilst out on my reccie. I liked the houses and from what I saw, I liked it. The only thing that put me off was the schools, as they were huge - 1000 students for primary school - whereas my daughter is used to a school roll of 400.

I've now looked at Forest Lake College and its much smaller for the primary kids, but $6k per yr. This looks ok for a private school but we werent budgeting for paying school fees.

Does anyone have any knowledge of the schools, or the area that actually lives there? I know a lot of people dont like this area as the plots are smaller than other areas perhaps, but I dont mind that as much, as its what I'm used to here, living in a new build house.

Having looked at other areas in the Centenary subursb, I like the schools, but not the houses as much for what I can afford.

Thanks

Shaz

Guest cymru

I looked at Forest Lake College for my little one, even though the school is smaller, i was shocked to realise that the class sizes werent any smaller - they told me that class size was still 30 plus, so I didnt bother - but it is something you will need to look at.

Thanks, I did look at their website which showed class sizes of 25. I only looked at there as the other FL schools were so huge, and I'd imagine a bit daunting for a child coming from a little school, so hadnt focused so much on class sizes as school roll.

I am still considering Middle Park SS, as the houses seem quite reasonable there too. I'd prefer Jindalee/Jamboree Heights but havent seen any houses that suit us in our budget.

Oh, my head is spinning with all this looking at houses/schools/suburbs! I guess a lot will depend on what we think when there, but I'd like to narrow it down somewhat.

Shaz

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Shaz,

We have lived in Forest Lake and although the area is nice and the lake is nice the suburb is called Forest Break due to the burglaries there !!!!!!!!!

Lots of youths hanging around and the so called hoons driving until all hours.

As for schools my son went to Forest Lake College and its very religious and very strict, for the money you pay its pretty disgusting. My son was 15 and just started to get stubble (bumfluff) so they threatened him with shaving him in school and if he didnt shave then he would be put him in an isolation room and taught on his own. You have no parental power in schools in Queensland whats so ever even though you pay for the privilege of private. The education system is somewhat very much to be desired!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This was our experience of Forest Lake,but its just a warning.

Jindalee and Jamboree looked nicer. Simminon Park looked okay too.

The best school is meant to be in Brisbane and its a state school but i cant remember what it was called.

The schools aren't as good as british schools especially were we are from.

Good luck and if you want any more info just let me know.

Wilko

Thanks Wilko, its good to get first hand info. I would never have imagined that from a private school! Mind you, after speaking to my OH, who was at school in South Africa, he says you would've been excluded from school for having 'bumfluff' and were ordered to shave. It was very disciplined, and uniform and appearance was very important.

My sister had told me she had doubts about the area, being close to Inala, as she works there and it is not so desirable! But I didnt know if she knew enough about the area, so thought I'd post to get some feedback from someone living there.

Yeah, the ss you mention is Kenmore SS I think. I liked it, and its not far from Jindalee, but much more expensive. Another member just rented near there though, so might have a look at the rentals in the area out of interest to see if we like anything in our price range.

Wher do you live now?

Thanks again

Shaz

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Guest mandi1971

We have too as it looks amazing and the houses were affordable etc, im a bit put off now,back to the drawing board :confused:

Mandi

Guest juliethompson

Hi,

We lived in Forest Lake, for a few years, my son went 2 the the school, he had no problems with the size and his school in the UK had only 158 pupils. We never had any problems with burglaries either. There is another school in Forest Lake called Grand avenue state school, it depends on the catchment areas in forest lake.

Archived