Lepto's levels:(

Briggy

Has any one had problems with their dog's lepto's levels.

To cut a long story short we were gonna bring out dog with us, the vet took his first bloods and they came back with lepto's level high. Then we found out we had to leave our dog, but he had had his second blood test, and passed. Anyways our dog has stayed with a friend till we were able to get him out. Which is now, he has had blood tests again and they are high:( The vet told our friend he expected it and he should be fine with a next test.

I don't no what I will do if he fails again, our poor dog is gonna be like a pin cussion.

Has anyone else had problems with lepto levels.

Our friend said he doesn't even give our junk food, apart from dog stuff.

Miss my dog:( :cry:

Brig x

Has any one had problems with their dog's lepto's levels.

To cut a long story short we were gonna bring out dog with us, the vet took his first bloods and they came back with lepto's level high. Then we found out we had to leave our dog, but he had had his second blood test, and passed. Anyways our dog has stayed with a friend till we were able to get him out. Which is now, he has had blood tests again and they are high:( The vet told our friend he expected it and he should be fine with a next test.

I don't no what I will do if he fails again, our poor dog is gonna be like a pin cussion.

Has anyone else had problems with lepto levels.

Our friend said he doesn't even give our junk food, apart from dog stuff.

Miss my dog:( :cry:

Brig x

Has your dog been vacinated in between times? If not then this is quite confusing unless one of the results is a false positive which does happen. If it has been vaccinated recently then this should have been done without the lepto as this is what the test is detecting. It is a common problem, and should resolve itself once the last vaccine has worn off, unfortunately this will vary from dog to dog, but level shouldn't go back up again once its gone down. Get it retested, its the only real option. The only other reason I can see is that it has come into contact with lepto, where does your friend live? Lepto is more common in farm areas as its often transmitted by rats. It can also be picked up from an infected dog that urinates the park, but this is far less common.

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Brig

Please don't panic this is something that comes up quite often and is usually because the dogs have been vaccinated against Lepto at an earlier date. Do you know what the titre reading was?

We need to remember that vaccinations against Leptospira interrogans.var. canicola are not recommended within 6 months of export as a high antibody response may result in the individual being ineligible for export to Australia.

To allow the dog to Australia one of the following must be completed by the vet:

(Remember,because titres are written by dilution factor, 1:800 is a higher titre than 1:400 which is higher than 1:100)

a) Within 30 days prior to the scheduled date of export, a blood sample is taken from the said animal and sent to the Veterinary Laboritories Agency (VLA) , Weybridge and subjected to the microscopic agglutination test (MAT) for Leptospira Canicola with a negative result (negative is less than 50% agglutination at 1:100);

OR

b) Where the first blood sample showed a positive titre of not more than 1:400 for Leptospira Canicola a second blood sample, collected at an interval of not less than 14 days following the date of the first sampling, is also tested and shows no increase in the titre above that of the first test;

Dogs that record a result of over 1:400 (ie. 1:800) are ineligible for import.

If this occurs it is often sensible to simply re-test as a lower titre can often be achieved. This is what is happening with your as the moment.

It may be worth asking your vet to put him on a course of treatment using doxycycline orally for 14 days (I would recommend a dose of 2.5-5mg/kg daily) or dihydrostreptomycin injections for 5 days and then re-test.

I know it's hard when I say don't worry but it is a very common occurance and one I use to see on a regular basis so please don't stress to much, it will all work out in the end.

Big hugs:hug:

Kate

Has your dog been vacinated in between times? If not then this is quite confusing unless one of the results is a false positive which does happen. If it has been vaccinated recently then this should have been done without the lepto as this is what the test is detecting. It is a common problem, and should resolve itself once the last vaccine has worn off, unfortunately this will vary from dog to dog, but level shouldn't go back up again once its gone down. Get it retested, its the only real option. The only other reason I can see is that it has come into contact with lepto, where does your friend live? Lepto is more common in farm areas as its often transmitted by rats. It can also be picked up from an infected dog that urinates the park, but this is far less common.

Hi there,

I havn't a clue, that's what I thought maybe they have given another jab.

My OH is in contact with the vets. Kinda difficult when were out here and Maxi is there.

when we first took Maxi to the vet he needed his jabs. We told the vet to give him a jab without the Lepto in it. He said he couldn't as this made up the injection.

Then maxi tests came back possative, so he needed another blood test which he passed.

But like I explained due to circumstances we had to leave maxi with a freind till we could send for him:)

So the vet did his bloods again and it shows Lepto levels in it.

But the vet told our freind he expected it to be high.:confused:

Our freind who is looking after our Maxi has a really old frail dog who is about 2 inches high ha ha, no he's so tiny.

He lives at the side of a church in a housing estate.

So really keeping my fingers crossed this time, that he passes.

Thanks for your help.

Brig x:wubclub:

Hi Brig

Please don't panic this is something that comes up quite often and is usually because the dogs have been vaccinated against Lepto at an earlier date. Do you know what the titre reading was?

We need to remember that vaccinations against Leptospira interrogans.var. canicola are not recommended within 6 months of export as a high antibody response may result in the individual being ineligible for export to Australia.

To allow the dog to Australia one of the following must be completed by the vet:

(Remember,because titres are written by dilution factor, 1:800 is a higher titre than 1:400 which is higher than 1:100)

a) Within 30 days prior to the scheduled date of export, a blood sample is taken from the said animal and sent to the Veterinary Laboritories Agency (VLA) , Weybridge and subjected to the microscopic agglutination test (MAT) for Leptospira Canicola with a negative result (negative is less than 50% agglutination at 1:100);

OR

b) Where the first blood sample showed a positive titre of not more than 1:400 for Leptospira Canicola a second blood sample, collected at an interval of not less than 14 days following the date of the first sampling, is also tested and shows no increase in the titre above that of the first test;

Dogs that record a result of over 1:400 (ie. 1:800) are ineligible for import.

If this occurs it is often sensible to simply re-test as a lower titre can often be achieved. This is what is happening with your as the moment.

It may be worth asking your vet to put him on a course of treatment using doxycycline orally for 14 days (I would recommend a dose of 2.5-5mg/kg daily) or dihydrostreptomycin injections for 5 days and then re-test.

I know it's hard when I say don't worry but it is a very common occurance and one I use to see on a regular basis so please don't stress to much, it will all work out in the end.

Big hugs:hug:

Kate

Hi Kate,

Don't have a clue what titre is.

All looks very confussing.

maxi was vacinated November last year. We explained to the vet about leaving the lepto out of the jab, and he said he couldn't.

The vet is supposed to keep in touch with us and let us know what is happening.

It was our friend that told us he had to go back for another test.

So difficult when we are out here.

Gonna print off what you said, and if need be my OH can send the info to the vets.

Thankyou for the information.

hopefully Maxi will pass this time, I will keep everything crossed. Will be lost without him:(

Thankyou again Brig x:wubclub:

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Brig

Please don't worry, Maxi will be with you soon. If you have no luck see if you can get a copy of the titre results and I will have a look at them for you, but I am almost sure there will be no problems and Maxi will soon be enjoying his new life Down Under.

Kate

Hi Brig

Please don't worry, Maxi will be with you soon. If you have no luck see if you can get a copy of the titre results and I will have a look at them for you, but I am almost sure there will be no problems and Maxi will soon be enjoying his new life Down Under.

Kate

Thankyou Kate,

Will do hun.

Lets hope so:)

Brig xxx

Hey guess what Maxi passed his bloods, WHOOOOPPPEEEE!!!!!

the vet said it was cos of his jabs it was showing high:D

God I'm so happy now can have my baby:D

Thanks again girls for your help, much apreciated:D

Cheers Brig xxx:biggrin::biggrin:

Guest The Pom Queen

That's wonderful news, congratulations, you can now sit back and relax until Maxi arrives then I am sure he will keep you busy.

Hugs

Kate

Archived