Parent Migration to Oz

Guest mange227

Guest mange227

Hi guys,

In June I will become and Australian citizen and also have a brother who is a permanent resident in Oz. We are looking to bring our parents out here (leaving one brother in the UK for now) and understand that either of us can sponsor a parent if the majority of their children live in Oz already.

I've looked at the immigration website and am trying to ascertain which visa would be best for my parents (divorced). So far I think the best route seems to be the Contributory Parent - Temporary (subclass 173) visa which is valid for two years. We could then apply for the migrant visa within the two years.

Does anyone have any experience of this who might advise me on the most appropriate visa and how long these visas take to grant?

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi and congratulations on the impending citizenship.

One of the best people to talk to in regards to parent visas would be Gill (Gollywobbler) she is an expert in this having gone through the process in helping her mother get to Australia. However, Gill is very much in demand and she may not have time to answer your questions or may miss your post, if this is the case it may be worth chatting with one of the migration agents who frequent the forum, someone like Alan Collet or George Lombard would be a good choice.

Another person who may be able to advise is Joanne (Oz2512) although she cannot offer you legal advice she has been through this process herself.

Good luck and I hope that you all manage to be together soon

Kate

Guest guest36187

In June I will become and Australian citizen and also have a brother who is a permanent resident in Oz. We are looking to bring our parents out here (leaving one brother in the UK for now) and understand that either of us can sponsor a parent if the majority of their children live in Oz already.

Yes this is true, in order to pass the balance of family test more kids must be in Oz.

I've looked at the immigration website and am trying to ascertain which visa would be best for my parents (divorced). So far I think the best route seems to be the Contributory Parent - Temporary (subclass 173) visa which is valid for two years. We could then apply for the migrant visa within the two years.

Please bear in mind that we can only offer advice and that none of us (unless our signatures say) are migration agents. We offer advice on our own expereinces only.

The 173 visa information is below:

This visa is for parents outside of Australia, who have children residing in Australia, to enter and live in Australia for two (2) years. You cannot extend or renew this visa.

If you are granted this visa and want to live in Australia permanently, you can apply for the Contributory Parent (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 143). You must apply for the permanent visa before this temporary visa expires.

See: Contributory Parent (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 143)

This visa requires that you be sponsored by your child, or another eligible sponsor, in Australia.

Who is this visa for?

This visa is for you if you are a parent of a child or stepchild who is a settled Australian citizen, settled permanent resident or settled eligible New Zealand citizen.

Your partner and other family members may be included in your application if they meet certain requirements.

See: Definitions

How much will this visa cost?

You must pay a visa application charge when you lodge your visa application. This application charge covers you and all family members included in your application and will usually not be refunded if your application is unsuccessful, or if you decide to withdraw your application after you have lodged it. A second visa application charge for each person included in the application is also required before the visa is granted.

See: Parent Visa Charges

What does this visa let me do?

This visa allows you and your accompanying partner and dependent family members to live as a temporary resident in Australia for two (2) years.

You can also:

• have access to Australia's medical expenses and hospital care assistance scheme, Medicare

• work in Australia

• study, but you are not eligible to apply for Austudy.

Parent Visa Charges

This is the link to the charges page where you find the fees.

I have no idea how long this visa takes but the CPV143 takes 18months - 2 years from start to finish.

Check out the charges for the 143 too. If possible it may be a good idea to go straight for that rather than paying out twice.

Also have a chat to Alan Collett, he assisted my parents through their CPV143. The link to his page is here

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/members/alan-collett.html

If you send him a PM I am sure he will help you.

GOod Luck and remember to ask if you want any help. Also do a search of previous threads.

PomsInOz Forum - Search Results

Good Luck xx

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi James

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

If your Parents are divorced, did they get back together at some stage or does each of them plan to make a separate CPV application, please?

Do either of your parents have a new Partner? If so, do the Partner(s) have any children of their own?

Do either of your Parents or any Partners that they may have now have any step-children, please?

Whether you apply for the Temporary sc 173 or the immediately-permanent sc 143, the time line is between about 18-24 months. Very few people choose to opt for te Temp sc 173 visa first. The majority choose the immediately permanent sc 143 visa, to get the whole thing finished in one hit. This is what we did with my widowed mother and Oz2512's parents did the same.

Usually when people choose the two-stage strategy, there is a reason for doing the whole thing in two stages. What are your reasons, please?

If I were you, I would think about making the CPV applications prior to 1st July 2010 because the fees will rise on that date and the cost of the 2nd Instalment might well rise by quite a bit because the Aussie Government has done a study, as a result of which they are moaning about the costs of caring for the elderly in Oz. The whole of the 2nd Instalment is deemed to be a notional Contribution towards the Parent's likely future health care cost in Oz.

The Parents Visa Centre are exceptionally helpful if you e-mail them on parents@immi.gov.au or give them a ring:

Parent Visa Centre

They charge nothing for helping. We did not use a migration agent for Mum in the end because we found that with help from the PVC, we were easily able to manage the whole thing on our own.

How old is each of the prospective migrants and do they have any health issues, please?

Cheers

Gill

Guest mange227

Guys, you've all been really helpful. Although my parents have been divorced for 10 years, they see each other atleast once or twice a week and my father still helps my mum with many of her personal affairs. She even uses his address for some of her bills. Neither parent has a partner. My main concern with my mother is that she is suffers from anxiety and has done for a couple of years; this leaves her signed off work but not receiving medication.

I have thought about them applying on one application. Only thought of applying for the temporary visa first because I must have misunderstood the website; I thought you had to do it that way.

I will check out the links you have all emailed. Thanks once again, there's some really useful info here.

James

Archived