Parent Visa Problem

Guest liamjb

Guest liamjb

Hi Pomsinoz

we have always wanted to live in australia, however leaving my wifes parents has been an issue as we couldn't move away from them; both for personal reasons and the fact that we rely on them considerably for childcare.

My wifes brother looks to be moving to oz to live with his girlfriend, he can get in on a skilled migrant visa. as both myself and my wife can get in on skilled visas too we all thought we could move as one big party until we found out about parent visas; and the charges!!!

i am looking for a way to move over there with the in-laws somehow, or at least have them over for a decent amount of time. As i understand it the only way of doing this is to move over and wait for 2 years until we are residents, then apply for parent visas which could be another 3 years and about £40000 in fees. is there a method by which the in-laws could move over fully supported by us for the duration of the visa application and the 2 years preceeding? also is there a way they could get part time jobs out there during this period? it just seems silly that they can't move over if both children and son-in-law are living there as skilled migrants aiding the economy.

i have looked all over the internet for information on this but there seems to be conflict and no clarity in the exact rules. some websites even say there will be flexible visa terms during parent visa application period if all children are in oz but does this refer to the length of stay allowed or rights to work or duration of visa processing?

HELP!!! we are desperate to get out of the miserable UK!

Liam

Guest guest36187

You may do better to PM one of the many agents that are on here for some advice. Also Gill (Gollywobbler) is quite knowledgable on parent visas. My parents have one and I am their AOS but ours was straight forward with no kinks!!

Guest liamjb

thanks for the advice, how do i find the agents? or gollywobbler.

sorry for being a bit rubbish with the whole forum thing

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Liam

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

First of all, how old are your in-laws (each of them) please? Their ages today affect which Parent visas it is sensible to discuss with you. Secondly, does either of them have any known health problems?

Now turning to yourselves and your wife's brother and his girlfriend, what are the main occupations involved in the putative skilled visas, please? The whole regime of migration to Australia (particularly skilled migration) is going through a period of huge reform at the moment and so exactly what would-be migrants do for a living is becoming increasingly important. There is not a lot of point in worrying about the in-laws until we are certain that both of their children would be able to migrate to Oz, I suggest.

Turning to your post:

wait for 2 years until we are residents, then apply for parent visas

Not necessarily. Applications for Parent visas must be sponsored. The Sponsor is usually one of the children. The Sponsor must have Permanent Residency in Oz and s/he must also be *settled* in Australia.

Booklet 3 has it that in order to be considered *settled* the Sponsor must usually have lived in Oz for at least 2 years. "Usually" is the operative word. There have been loads of successful cases where the Sponsor has lived in Oz for quite a bit less than 2 years as a matter of fact. Please see the article below by Alan Collett of Go Matilda, and please read the two MRT cases that Alan has cited in the article:

Go Matilda - Your Gateway to Australia - News

for 2 years until we are residents

Why would either you and your wife or her brother and his girlfriend not be permanent residents in Oz from Day One, please? Immediate PR can be arranged more often than not so I think we need to investigate what all of the skilled ones do for a living!

also is there a way they could get part time jobs out there during this period?

The issue is whether or not your in-laws would be permitted to work in Australia at all before becoming Permanent Residents of Oz in their own rights. If they would be allowed to work full-time then they would automatically be able to work part time instead.

What are the in-laws' respective occupations, please, and how old is each of them? For instance it is not uncommon to come across a situation where Mrs In-Law is only about 52 and she is a Nurse, or Mr In-Law is only about 52 and he is a Sparky. A Nurse would definitely be able to get an employer in Oz to sponsor her, almost regardless of her age. A Sparky might be able to do so. Age limits can sometimes be tweaked with employer-sponsored skilled visas.

some websites even say there will be flexible visa terms during parent visa application period if all children are in oz but does this refer to the length of stay allowed or rights to work or duration of visa processing?

This statement doesn't really have any meaning. It is the sort of rubbish that one often reads on migration agents' websites, though.

You would do FAR better to read what DIAC themselves say about Parent migration, which is on the links below:

Family - Visas & Immigration

Parent Migration Booklet

It is MUCH easier to read what DIAC themselves say than to read other people's descriptions of what DIAC allegedly mean, I reckon.

There is no particular problem with British Parents visiting Oz both before and after they apply for Parent migration. I stress British because there isn't a great problem for Brits but there can be immense problems if the Parents are from a country that DIAC considers to be High Risk.

One possibility is often a subclass 676 long-stay tourist visa, though there are no work-rights with that visa:

Visa Options - Tourists - Visitors - Visas & Immigration

There are other possibilities instead but rather than discussing different visas in the abstract, I think it is much wiser to get the facts down on paper. 6 of you are involved. All of your ages and all of your occupations are important in order to work out what the best options are for each of the three couples, please.

Cheers

Gill

Guest Ginger55

Wow, thanks Gollywobbler, I didn't realise it was so complicated! Your post will be really useful to me, as I 'm a 50-something hoping to move out to Oz to live near my daughter, and am really confused as to the best way to do it. I don't fall into a work category in which the Aussies would jump for my talents, eg. nursing, and I don't want to place my daughter in a difficult financial situation, so I'm scratching around a bit for inspiration. Must keeping trawling the forums.. Thanks again.

Guest liamjb

my father in law is 59 and mother in law is 50 (both this year). They have no major health issues other than being overweight and father in law has high blood pressure which he is on medication for. mother in law is currently being investigated for pancreatitis which she was hospitalised with last year although it seems to be under control now.

my father in law works in sales and mother in law works as a care advisor for care homes for the council so unfortunately not on the skills list.

my brother in law and myself are both civil engineers and 28, my wife is a registered nurse aged 27 and my brother in laws girlfriend is an australian national aged 25.

thanks for your reply, hopefully the above information is as required. i look forward to your next reply

Archived