Sharing my shipping experience

Guest caribtraveler

Guest caribtraveler

I shipped a 20' container with personal belongings from the Caribbean to Australia (Brisbane) with CMA, an int'l french owned large shipping company.

- door to door almost three months. Most time is consumed to get it from the departure port to the hub for one of the big boats going to Australia, and after arrival for quarantine and customs inspection.

- basic cost for ocean transport less than US-$2,500; local Australian landing fees, etc. about AU-$3,400 (!)

- no customs charges

- Quarantine inspection freaked out, when they learnt, we had some homoepathic medicine in container, harmless stuff. Better get rid of it before, it is not worth the hassle.

- Local CMA-ANL forwarder/importing agent is chaotic organisation, I am still hunting a deposit to be returned, would never go again with them. :mad:

- in my case with CMA, I had to drive the process, the forwarder is obviously not caring about one time customers

Just my experience, might be different at other instances. If I had to do it again, I would try reducing the household and go airfreight.:wink:

Guest chihiro

thx for the sharing, coming from France we fortunatly choose another shipping company. Will update when we arrive in Brisbane and will get our stuff !

Archived