Renting!

Guest laura_barrett

Guest thepriceclan
How long are leases for renting property normally??:chatterbox:

Hi, not sure exactly but usually either 6 or 12 months.

My cousin who lived in Perth has always rented and only usually moved if she had enough of an area or fancied a pool in the summer.

Sarah.

Guest fatpom
How long are leases for renting property normally??:chatterbox:

Each state has its own legis but this is basically correct for NSW & Qld. Other states will be similar.

Its up to you to negotiage the lease you want. Six or twelve months is normal but if you're a good bet for the landlord you could negotiate three months provided the rental market isn't tight in the area you're looking.

Once your lease is up you can continue renting on an ongoing basis where you or the landlord have only to give minimum notice (NSW 3 weeks, Qld 2 weeks for you, but a little longer for the landlord I think?).

If you want to quit the place inside the contract time you could be up for the remaining rent. In practice provided a replacement tennant can be found you'll be released without having to cover more than the date the new tennant takes residence.

The up side to a contract is you're on a fixed rent for the time period. The down side to ongoing is you could and probably will get several rent increases over the year.

Guest EM&M
Each state has its own legis but this is basically correct for NSW & Qld. Other states will be similar.

Its up to you to negotiage the lease you want. Six or twelve months is normal but if you're a good bet for the landlord you could negotiate three months provided the rental market isn't tight in the area you're looking.

Once your lease is up you can continue renting on an ongoing basis where you or the landlord have only to give minimum notice (NSW 3 weeks, Qld 2 weeks for you, but a little longer for the landlord I think?).

If you want to quit the place inside the contract time you could be up for the remaining rent. In practice provided a replacement tennant can be found you'll be released without having to cover more than the date the new tennant takes residence.

The up side to a contract is you're on a fixed rent for the time period. The down side to ongoing is you could and probably will get several rent increases over the year.

Hi,

So your advice would be to secure a fixed lease period ie 6 or 12 months if possible? Does that mean that they could not up the rent in that period??

Thanks

Em x

Guest fatpom
Hi,

So your advice would be to secure a fixed lease period ie 6 or 12 months if possible? Does that mean that they could not up the rent in that period??

Thanks

Em x

That's correct the rent is fixed for the period. Also unless you do something you shouldn't you can't be turfed out for that period either (e.g. the landlord can't sell the house without transferring the lease to the new buyer which limits interest in wouldbe purchasers).

Generally speaking landlords prefer to lease for fixed periods - financially more certain for him/her.

As for you the renter it all depends what you prefer. If it turns out you don't like a particular area you've chosen or has become inconvenient due to work etc. then a year is a long time.

Guest EM&M
That's correct the rent is fixed for the period. Also unless you do something you shouldn't you can't be turfed out for that period either (e.g. the landlord can't sell the house without transferring the lease to the new buyer which limits interest in wouldbe purchasers).

Generally speaking landlords prefer to lease for fixed periods - financially more certain for him/her.

As for you the renter it all depends what you prefer. If it turns out you don't like a particular area you've chosen or has become inconvenient due to work etc. then a year is a long time.

Hi Thanks for that. We have family were we are going so we pretty much know the area's and where we want to be, good thing is we have the added benefit of being able to stay with family until we secure somewhere.

Can I ask do you know what the "norm" is regarding working a business from home in a rental?? I feel there maybe a clause in rental agreements to prevent me doing this??

Thanks again

Em x

Guest fatpom
Can I ask do you know what the "norm" is regarding working a business from home in a rental?? I feel there maybe a clause in rental agreements to prevent me doing this??

Thanks again

Em x

Don't actually know to be honest?:unsure:

I suspect that there will be two issues, the landlord may be unhappy with this but also local council bylaws will quite likely prohibit using a residential property as a business one? Obviously depends on what you plan to be doing as to whether someone dobbs you in of course. :biglaugh:

Guest getmetheresoon

just sent off our tra told result should be in in 10 days

I suspect that there will be two issues, the landlord may be unhappy with this but also local council bylaws will quite likely prohibit using a residential property as a business one? Obviously depends on what you plan to be doing as to whether someone dobbs you in of course. :biglaugh:

Guest EM&M

Hi thanks, Im sure will get sorted when we are out there, I want to do nail technician work and may just go mobile but had thought of possibily setting up from home. We are going on a 457 so need to be a very good girl or might get kicked out :err:

Em x

Guest fatpom
I want to do nail technician work and may just go mobile but had thought of possibily setting up from home. We are going on a 457 so need to be a very good girl or might get kicked out :err:

Em x

Get yourself a good accountant. He/she should be able to advise you on your options or point you in the right direction as well as get you the best tax advantages.

Good Luck. :)

Archived