Moving to SA or Vic?

Guest quaverwave

Guest quaverwave

Hi, My partner (38) and I (32) have put in the application form etc and his skills have been assessed and he has passed. SO we are now at the next stage. We are filling in the forms for South Australia at the moment, but wondered if anyone has any opinions on that area? My partner has been, but I haven't and he only visited for a short time. We can also look at Victoria, so we are wondering which is the best option.

We are both into quite cosmopolitan places, with the outdoors being the key attraction..hence Oz to start with! We love sport , particularly swimming.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys!

• 2 months later...

Evening,

just joined this brilliant site and read your message. My family and i visited South Australia last summer and fell in love with the state. Especially Adelaide, which is a very cosmopolitan state. Lots of art festivals going on all year round. We came back and started the visa process immediately. Our application was submitted in early June after a prat of an imergration agent messed things up!! Having medicals done next months and hopefully visa by Xmas. Then its bye bye UK in March - fingers crossed, but deffinately to the Adelaide area.

Cookie

Guest quaverwave

we're pretty much in the same position then....waiting!! We're waiting for a 'case officer' to contact us and then medicals we hope........also hope for xmas and to be there Feb next year. What job do you do?

Guest quaverwave

Also you can find loads more of 'us' on the South Australia page in this site by the way. Also some links to other places like.....brits in adelaide

• 2 weeks later...

:lol: Hi Quaverwave, we are off to Adelaide soon too...in fact my husband has already moved over there and started work....I'm here with the children trying to sell the house. It's a lovely place to be and hubby has had no trouble settling in. Good luck with your application.

Guest quaverwave

Thanks for the good luck.....hopefully we'll be hearing soon, although its now driving me nuts not knowing!

Where is your hubby? Managed to get into Adelaide itself or has he found somewhere suburban ish that's better?

He's working for the Royal Adelaide hospital, so is in central Adelaide at the moment, but looking around at all the suburbs to find a nice piece of land for us to build on. Our girls have horses and very much want to continue with this when we're over in Adelaide, so we need enough land to keep a couple of horses on too.That means we'll probably be looking at buying land in the Hills ie to the east of Adelaide, rather than towards the west and the beaches. We're both ploughing through loads of details from real estate agents and on his days off he drives around to check out areas we think look nice. It's not ideal, so the sooner this wretched house sells the better. :cry: Have you any idea where you'd like to settle?

Guest quaverwave

No idea of where we want to be at all....we've just received loads of info on Adelaide and the surrounding areas so I am reading through that at the mo. To be honest as long as we are within striking distance from the sity by public transport preferably then anywhere will be fine to start with. Any ideas if the public transport system is as good as everywhere else in Oz? ie...perfect and makes sense unlike in the UK! ha ha.

I've also subscribed to the Australia News monthly paper and its a great read.

Have you any interest in the house yet? I hope it all gets sorted soon for you.

What are you planning to do out in Oz?

I'm teaching so hope to find a job quite quickly when we get out there. From what I've read the area is expanding sooooo much, that they are going to need all those public services to be expanding too.

:D Yep, there are hundreds and hundreds of immigrants arriving with children, so they're going to need lots and lots of extra teachers, I'd say!1 :wink: What does hubby do?

I'm a registered mental health nurse, so I'll be doing that when I go over, but I'll have the first few months off to get to know my way around and settle in. Oh boy am I looking forward to having months off!! :wink: Bliss!

As far as I hear the public transport system is very good and reliable and cheap...so there's a blessing!

I haven't had much interest in the house so far, but the estate agent is totally useless...I've just looked at our online ad and I'm going to have a word with her about re-writing it. It doesn't do the house justice at all. :? BUT, on Saturday we had a major flood, :cry: so I've now got to get that sorted out and the damage fixed,, before I push for viewers, so I'll have to keep quiet about the ad until I'm ready to have people veiwing again. :( I can't believe the bad luck I'm having at the moment....it's just one thing after another. Oh well, what doesn't kill me will make me stronger I guess! :? :shock:

Must dash...a daughter to pick up...catch you later

Archived