175 Visa Skills Assessment?Any School Teachers Here?

Guest LondonTom

Guest LondonTom

Greetings!

I was wondering if anyone could kindly offer me some advice.

I am planning on applying for a 175 visa. I have done the points self assessment, and it seems that I would get 125 points. I am on the CSL and MODL.

I am about to apply for my skills assessment in the next few days.

My wife is also on the CSL and MODL, so it seems we could get an additional 5 points if she also gets a skills assessment done, which would take me to 130.

Is it worth doing this, or is it just a waste of time/money, as the pass mark is 120.

Also, my wife is a Secondary School Teacher but she would not be working for the first two/three years if we go to Oz. I understand that if she obtained a skills assessment to go along with our application it would only be valid for two years, so she would need to redo it later on if she wanted to register as a teacher.

Alternatively, would the best thing for her to do would be to get the skills assessment done now, and for her to register as teacher on arrival (even if she will not be teaching) Is this possible?

Any advice would be most appreciated!

Kind regards

Tom

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Tom

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

My wife is also on the CSL and MODL, so it seems we could get an additional 5 points if she also gets a skills assessment done, which would take me to 130.

Is it worth doing this, or is it just a waste of time/money, as the pass mark is 120.

It would be a waste of time and money to get a skills assessment for your wife as well. Once she is ready to start work she will merely need to register with the teaching registration people in the State concerned, I believe.

Are you aware of the shake-up in visa processing priorities which occurred on 23rd September 2010? If not, please see here:

What's New? Recent Changes in General Skilled Migration

We now have some numbers and facts to go with the Sept 23 FAQ:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/70325-what-would-you-say-minister-immigration-really-4.html

The important posts are the ones by Jamie Smith, beginning on Page 4 of his thread above.

Cheers

Gill

Guest LondonTom

Hi Gill,

Thanks very much for your reply - that is very much what I suspected.

I'll go ahead with my own skills assessment, which hopefully will not take too long!

I was not aware of the changes on the 23rd, so i'll have a good read before applying!

Thanks again and have a nice weekend.

Tom

Archived