Does anybody know...

Guest nforne

I've looked up the ASCO definition of my trade and there's a bullet-pointed list of duties.

Can anyone tell me whether the TRA will check that I meet ALL of them or MOST of them?

The reason I ask is that a couple of the points relate to a less common type of printing and I've only worked in litho. All the other duties apply to me.

Cheers!

:D

Hi nforne

On the ASCO definition of my trade - Graphic Pre-Press Tradesperson - only 7 out of the 10 bullet-points relate to my job as a litho platemaker - some could be related to letterpress and gravure - plus general pre-press tasks, a lot of which are now defunct.

I think they just use it as a general guide as I have been accepted. So to answer your question I think everything will be OK.

As a matter of interest in what area of litho do you work?

mickw

Mick, that is music to my ears!!!! :D We do litho too... I think that the other stuff listed is to do with gravure.

I've been working in pre-press for 13 years, but have no qualifications, so I've just started an NVQ3 and City & Guilds Tech Cert Level 3 in Graphic Communications. I was going to wait until I'd qualified before getting my skills assessed, but I've changed my mind - I'm going to try the 'work experience' route.

Have you got any qualifications to back you up, or did you do it on work experience alone?

Neil

Oops, sorry, I work in the in-house print section of a local authority. For a local authority we're quite up to date - we're getting a four colour press later this month! Whoooooo! :lol: Maybe we'll have CTP in another few years!!!

I know what you mean about the ASCO being out of date... it looks like they bring out a new edition every 10 years, and it's 8 years since the last one. Our trade is moving that fast that a lot of it, like chemical proofing, has been superseded.

It's wonderful to see that hardcore technical geekery exists outside IT :) I thought it was only us UNIX geeks who babbled incomprehensibly to each other - your conversation just brought a massive smile to my face :)

:D You're right, choobs! Apologies to the baffled hoards... if only there were a site for... hang on I've got it! GeeksInOz! We could be on to something!!!!!

Archived