Another question about citizenship

Guest Paula125

Guest Paula125

This is probably a really stupid question but anyway!

I've been in Australia for over three years now and had permenant residency for about 1.5 years. I know I am eligible for citizenship in August next year.

But my question is this, if I'm eligible for citizenship in August next year when can I apply and take the citizenship test?

Do I apply once I've been here four years or can I apply before then and become a citizen in August 2010?

Guest JoanneHattersley

Australian Citizenship Wizard

Do the citizenship wizard and you may find you can apply now!

You cannot submit an application before you are eligible. In order to submit an application you MUST do the test. My timeline was:

COULD APPLY AFTER 2 YEARS:

Jan 09 - able to apply and booked test

Mar 09 - sat test and put in application

april 09 - application approved

May 09 - letter with ceremony date

June 09 - IM AN AUSSIE!

Guest Paula125

Joanne, I didn't get permenant residency until around March '08 so that means I have to have four years of residency in Australia rather than just the two years if I'd gotten permenant residency before June '07.

I'd be chuffed to bits and straight in there if I could do the test now though!:cute:

you can apply for and take the test before you are eligible but you cannot apply for citizenship until you are eligible. How long it then takes to become a citizen depends on the time taken to approve your application and when your council has availability for the ceremony. Our citizenship was approved in less than 2 weeks but we had to wait nearly 6 months for a ceremony as we just missed one.

Archived