Jump to content

Forums - the other way

Guest Naiad

Recommended Posts

Does any one know of any forums for people wanting to migrate to Britain?


My partner and I are working on a plan-B in that if his house doesn't sell before my tourist visa in the UK runs out (mid-March) we will go to Oz with him on a tourist visa, get married there, then apply for a spouse visa back here. That will give us time to sell the house and tie up the loose ends instead of having to be separated for a long period of time.


I've been googling for UK immigration forums and there are very few and very little info about spouse visas into the UK. This seems bizarre when endless discussion on the net is devoted to visas of all kinds to Oz. I'm sure just as many people are wanting to migrate to the UK as to Oz.


The best I've been able to discern is that it's relatively straightforward as long as you can prove you have a place to live and sufficient resources not to need public funds.


Anyone have any experience with spouse visas to the UK or have any suggestions of good sites/forums I could visit to find out more info?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest ABCDiamond



I met my wife in Australia, and, one day in 1996 we flew back to the UK, didn't arrange anything, just flew back.


We then got the forms for my wife to get the required visa, spent a day at the immigration centre Croydon, yes, all day about 7 hours !


But we got it all organised, and she was given indefinate leave to stay.

But we came back to Australia in 2000 :D


Hopefully it hasn't changed since 1996.


ahhh.. It may have done:


Have you looked here: http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/ind/en/home/contact_us/pre-entry.html


"From 13 November 2005 all those who are not British or EEA nationals – except for British nationals without right of abode in the UK - will need a visa or entry clearance for all stays in the UK over six months"




How do I qualify to join my husband, wife or civil partner in the UK?

You must show that:


you are legally married to each other or are in a civil partnership recognised in the UK

your husband, wife or civil partner is present and settled in the UK (see below)

you both intend to live together permanently as husband and wife or as civil partners

you have met each other before

together you can support yourselves and any dependants without any help from public funds

you have suitable accommodation, which is owned or lived in only by you and your household, and where you and your dependants can live without any help from public funds

your husband, wife or civil partner is not under 18, and

you are not under 18.


If your husband, wife has more than one wife or husband, only one will be allowed to join them in the UK.


At first, you will be allowed to stay and work in the UK for two years. Near the end of this time, if you are still married and intend to continue living together, you can apply to stay permanently in the UK.


The Immigration and Nationality Directorate (IND) will deal with your application to stay permanently and give you information on what you will need to do. (Contact details are under 'More advice and information' at the end of this guidance.)


If you and your husband, wife or civil partner have been living together outside the UK for four years or more, and they have been a British citizen for four years or more, there will be no time limit on how long you can stay in the UK.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Create New...