Question in form 80 about citizenship

Guest masaad

Guest masaad

Hi All.....if anyone can help me here it will be great

my wife's father is living in USA for more than 20 years and he has the american citizenship plus his original citizenship...the problem is that we don't know when exactly he was granted the american citizenship and we have no contacts for him in USA as he was separated from his wife (my mother in law)long time ago :(

so can my wife leave the question of when her father was granted any other citizenship blank or shall we write we don't know or what ?? please advice

thxxxxx

Guest guest21235

Hi there Masaad,

In the first paragraph of Form 80 it states that All questions must be completed in order for it to be processed so my advise to you would be not to leave it unanswered. Regardless of your father in law being separated from his wife and having no contacts in the USA, he should still be able to exercise his rights in contacting the USA department of immigration to find out the details of his naturalisation (they should have all his details on record still). He will obvioulsy have to undergo a series of security questions so it might be an idea for him to have past addresses, bank details etc on hand when he enquires. I also recommend that your wife consults as soon as possible with her case officer dealing with your application as she/he can best advise you as to what to do.

I hope this helps - all the best

Guest slipshot

I would personlly guess at the date of the citizenship as I doubt it will make any difference at all. In many cases a date which is roughly correct is far better than no date which then raises questions (was it 3 days ago for example).

I cannot see it being a massive issue so I;d just guess...

Guest yankee

If you don't have any way to reach him, I would state what you wrote here on an extra sheet of paper, make a note in the field that asks for this info and attach the document. It simply not easy to track people down in the US, although you can certainly try by checking Whitepages (Residential) online.. however he may not be listed.

Anywho, you can of course only fill in what you know. If you simply don't know something or can't find out the info, be hones, and state that.

BTW...Everyone that becomes a US citizen other than by birth gets a naturalization certificate, which states the date when the Citizenship was granted (bottom right of the Naturalization Certificate) along with exact place of Naturalization.

Best of Luck to you!

Archived