Parent Visa App

Guest MARTINI

Guest MARTINI

My wife and I have four offspring and our youngest son has been in oz since 07. Our eldest daughter has just taken on baord an immigration agent to start the process for her and her family.

I know that once she has PR in oz that my wife and I can apply for visa which of course could be at least two years down the line.

From posts on the site that it can take up to 2 years or more for Praent visas to be issued. This means that it could be four years before we could be in OZ on an offical parent visa.

My question is can you start the Visa process for parents before my daughter has gained PR?

I appreciate that we could get in on 12 months visitors and use system to get up to 2 years in oz on them. Any advice would be appreciated.

Also if you apply for parent visas what quals are you expected to have?

Regards

John

Guest JoanneHattersley

I know that once she has PR in oz that my wife and I can apply for visa which of course could be at least two years down the line.

Thats true,

From posts on the site that it can take up to 2 years or more for Praent visas to be issued. This means that it could be four years before we could be in OZ on an offical parent visa.

WIth two kids in Uk and 2 kids in Oz, the BOF test should be ok. My parents got a contributory parent visa which does involve a sum of money!! They are taking about 18-24 months at present

My question is can you start the Visa process for parents before my daughter has gained PR?

Your daughter needs to be "settled" in Oz for 2 years. Time on a temp visa counts for that.

There are agents on here and also Gollywobbler who is the parent visa info person! Im sure she will pick this up too.

Welcome to PIO!

Guest cazbeckham

IF you are applying for a normal Parent Visa there are years and years wait for that visa but if you want to get out there without the years and years wait then it has to be the Contributory Parent Visa and that cost us around £30,000 plus the Assurance of Support Bond money and meds etc etc but at least with the CPV you will not have to wait years.

Johatts (my Daughter) is right about the 2 years settled. We had to wait until she had been there for 2 years and then applied for her Permanent Residency before we could apply.

Our Visa took about 17 months to get from start to finish, not sure on waiting times at present though but I am sure as johatts said, Gill (Gollywobbler) or even Alan (Go Matilda) will put you right on any questions.

Good Luck and welcome to PIO

Caz

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi John

In a word, no! It is a time of application requirement that the Balance of Family Test must be met. In order to meet it at least two our of your four children must be Permanent Residents before a Parent or CPV application can be submitted with any prospect of success. If you jump the gun the application will be refused and you will waste not less than $1,705, which is what the first Instalment will increase to on 1st July 2009. The 2nd Instalment for a CPV will be increased to $34,330 per parent on the same date.

At the moment your situation is that you have 4 children aged 34, 30, 28 and 22. Your 28 year old son is living and working in Oz on a temporary employer sponsored subclass 457 visa so he is not a Permanent Resident as yet.

Your 30 year old daughter would like to emigrate as well. She is an ILEX-qualified Legal Executive. Her husband is an IT Support Manager. Whether or not migration will be possible for them depends on whether or not your S-i-L's occupation is on the SOL (Skilled Occupations List.) Your daughter's occupation is not on the SOL so they will not succeed with an application based on her unless she has a degree in addition to her ILEX qualifications?

The remaining two children, aged 22 and 34, do not live in Australia and have no current plans to emigrate as I understand the situation from your earlier thread, which is here:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/62877-how-long-get-residency-citizenship-other-things.html

I understand that the relevant daughter and S-i-L are seeking advice from a migration agent about whether or not they are eligible to migrate. If the advice is "no" then presumably you will not wish to emigrate in the reasonably near future in any case?

Also if you apply for parent visas what quals are you expected to have?

None, so you need not worry about that! Skills are irrelevant for Family Stream applicatons.

If and when two of your children have PR then an application can be made for a Parent or Contributory Parent visa but not unless and until, unfortunately. However you are only 53. There is a chance that you might be eligible for employer sponsored migration based on your own work experience. You would need to get a move on about it, though, which idea is not really consistent with your children's situations.

If Parent migration becomes possible in the longer term, depending on the length of the wait at the time a Student visa sounds like a possible option for you and your wife. Only one of you needs to be a Student. It is not impossible that you might then be offered a job doing what you do now. A Student visa would also enable both of you to work in Oz part time if you wish. So please don't imagine that you have to gnash your teeth in frustration once the rest begins to sort itself out. That will not be necessary!

Cheers

Gill

Archived