Oldies but goldies

Guest spock

Guest spock

So life begins at 40 - just waiting for the fun to start.

What's not so much fun is the thought of searching for jobs. If my company wins business in Melbourne we're probably OK. Otherwise I've got to start job hunting. It's not something I look forward to, but obviously, lots of us here have to do it.

Question is, has anyone got any idea of how easy it is to get a new job when you're 42? It will obviously depend on experience, type of work etc, but in the UK, there's something of an ageist work culture - are the Aussies ageist as well? Or will they see me as the greying treasure trove that I am? :) (Actually not so grey, just distinguished)

Spock.

Guest Rachel&Stu

Greetings Spock:spinny:

Have also got similar, minor, worries re job hunting. My field is childcare. Having recently returned from WA, there are absolutely loads and loads of jobs in that area. But am conscious that I'm not quite the spring chicken that I used to be:nah:

Have also searched the internet for childcare jobs in Victoria, and there seem to be plenty of jobs, but have thought that I could always start off with the 'temporary' or 'casual' jobs that might not have so much competition for them......

Worst case scenario - will go house cleaning for AUD20 per hour, saw loads of ads for this in WA too.......

Have you searched the web, just for an idea of what's available?

Cheers,

Rachel:wubclub:

Guest clayton gang

My hubby is 45 so he's getting on a bit. The guy dealing with our migration can get him a job straight away. So I guess age does not matter. He is a diesel mechanic by trade.

I also spoke to my cousin in Perth he said he will no problems getting a job.

Guest spock

Yes, and I get a daily email from an agency with IT jobs in Melbourne. There are quite a few each day, but they always say they want dynamic/energetic people etc. I'm good at what I do, but I'm not sure I have the energy levels they're talking about!

I intend to contact the agencies closer to the time and let them sort something out for me. They can get the best salary for my field, etc, and they can judge the ageism thing for me as well.

If the IT positions were as buoyant in Adelaide, I think we would move there, but there are hardly any IT posts on the job emails for there.

Spock.

Guest spock

Hi Clayton Gang,

Thanks for that morale boost. I get the feeling that diesel mechanics are more sought after than IT workers. Could be wrong, but after watching Cal's Gary on the telly, I can't imagine IT firms being that eager to pull me through the door!

Time will tell though. I feel more buoyed up now, thanks,

Spock.

Guest tinbasher

Hi guys

45 is not old, are you mad. :wacko: You have a world of experience to offer, so show all your skills off. In SA they have just lifted the recruitment age to 56 for the army! Don't know if that is all over the country though, could you imagine trying to get over a cargo net at 56 with your piles in tow, doesn't bare thinking about really. :jiggy:

Mrs TinB

PS Not found any problems with being over 40 up to now.

Guest spock

LOL

I know its not old really! A bit of tongue in cheek really! However, like I said, in the UK jobs market you have a lot more difficulty getting a job unless you've moved into management (at least in IT).

If you want to stay at the chalk face, you have to compete with high powered youngsters fresh out of college, with no business experience, but sharp skills - in theory anyway.

I work with people a lot younger than me, and I just feel like one of them. I can still whip them all at squash as well. Just wonder how that would come across to a prospective employer. Might help if I lost some weight! :)

Spock

Guest newnico

But I saw in the paper that Virgin in Oz is rejecting candidates in their 50s as air hostesses. Tragic. i thought I could fall back on that if everything else failed...

Guest fatpom
So life begins at 40... are the Aussies ageist as well? Spock.

Yes they are, but my personal perception is that they're not quite as bad as I recall they were in UK (10 yrs ago).

The pollies are trying to promote grey workers to employers but they're not really listening... not yet anyway.

Archived