new arrivals to Adelaide-info please !!!!!!

jollyswagman

Hi there due to late job offer i have just relocated myslef and my family down from qld(only there 1 week !!!)to Adeliade, (been here 3 days!!!)we have been lucky to secure a short term fully furnished rental in angle park but its only for 10-11 weeks ,we have no idea about the adelaide area as we have spent the last 18months researching brissie area so dont really know anything about anything down here,we have also bought a car yesterday but dont know how/wheres best to get insured ,its all the little things ,so cmon guys sell me your suburb ,your internet provider,car insurer etc i need to know it all , we are a very outgoing family of 4 girl 6 and boy 11 but just need a bit of a steer in the right direction especially with suburbs as there is so much choice ,my job doesnt start till the 18th may so i only have this week to help the missus out with it all and i think she is starting to panic thumbup.gif,so if its advice on offer or chance of a meetup then its all welcome and would be very much appreciated by these 4 3day old adeladians(?),thx for looking and have a good weekend whatever you are upto,cheers swagman

• 2 weeks later...
Guest J-inOz

First of all, welcome to Adelaide, 2nd, how come you decided to move from Queensland? We want to do the opposite.

We live down South in Hallett Cove, which has beautiful sea views from most streets. Some people like it, some don't.

You have to drive around to get a feel for what suburb you like and of course it all depends on where you have work.

There are so many power company's, I know. We stick with truenergy for gas and electric and we have had no problems. We are with virgin broadband because we can't get bigpond adsl broadband, which believe me is a pain in the arse. We are not happy with virgin because since we have signed up almost 2 years ago, the signal has gotten weaker and so the internet is sooo slow. Plus it is all wireless and the phone cuts out. I would go with telstra again if I could get it.

As for insurances, we are with the commonwealth bank because they worked out the cheapest at the time. You could try allianz, RAA etc. Just look in yellow pages and start dialling.

I can't comment on where you live because I have never been, but it is all about personal choice, such as: how far do you want to be from the city/sea/hills.

Some people say go to the shopping centre near to where you might want to live, to see what sort of people go there.

Anyway best of luck, hope you have made the right decision in coming to Adelaide.

Archived