Post-citizenship residency

Guest diegohandofgod

Guest diegohandofgod

Hi all

I’m currently in a precarious position with citizenship & residency, and would appreciate some concrete (and fact-based) advise on residency after citizenship is granted, if anyone can help please.

In a nutshell: I have a year remaining on my residency in Australia before I’m eligible to apply for citizenship. However, due to some unforeseen family circumstances I may have to return to the UK for anything up to 10-15 years. What I’m concerned about is the perception by the Australian authorities that I’ll be cutting & running immediately after I get my citizenship & passport.... and what it means for passport renewal etc later down the line. Part of me thinks that once citizenship is granted then it shouldn’t be rescinded in future, even if I haven’t been resident in Australia for a long time. The other part of me thinks that the Australian authorities will argue that I applied for citizenship under false pretensions and use that as grounds to withdraw citizenship. I’ve hunted around online for authoritative info about this, but I can’t find anything.

Anybody out there who knows the facts?

Many thanks

Andy

Archived