Living Expenses

Guest Carolm

Guest Carolm

Hi

I know there has been threads about cost of living in Oz but I've searched and can't find any recent ones. Can anyone point me in the right direction? OR can anyone give me an idea of what a weekly grocery shop would be for 2 adults (we don't have fillet steak every night!!!) just a reasonable shop without any alcohol. Also the cost of utilities (for a 3 bed house), telephone, internet, their equivalent of sky?

We will be renting and I know that the landlord pays the council tax. We would be looking to live in South east Melbourne area.

Thanks!!

Carol

You don't mention which state so here are some good links. Should not be too different from state to state:

Cost of Living - Live in Victoria go down the page about half way and you will see links to specific costs for items under the following categories:

<LI class=first-child jQuery1240533082781="11">food and groceries domestic supplies

personal care and cosmetics

clothing and footwear <LI class=last-child jQuery1240533082781="34">transport.

FOR NSW here is suitable site : Cost of Living

hope these help

Liam

Guest Guruju

Hi Carol

Here's some info I posted recently to a similar post to yours. I am in Perth.

Here's some example costs from my own household budget which may help you plan your budget and therefore have an idea on what you need

Annual Rates $921 (home owner) but if you are renting you will need 4 weeks rent as a bond and usually 2 weeks rent in advance.

Electricity

28 Aug - 29 Oct 08 (62 days) $159.95

29 Oct - 29 Dec 08 (61 days) $163.20

29 Dec - 27 Feb 09 (60 days) $267.30 (as this is Summer time bill its always the highest)

Gas

16/01/08 to 10/03 08 (54 days) $54

10/03 08 to 16/04/08 (37 days) $37

Basically a $1 per day on average for cooking and water heating.

Food we spend around $200 per week - 2 adults and 4 dogs. We also eat out/have BBQs a lot on top of that.

Fuel - an estate car around $50 a week (used for work so higher fuel needs) and a 4WD $300 per month (tow the boat and go off roading). Cost is higher when we take the camper trailer on holiday probably 4 times a year.

Rego - vehicles both cost around $550 each per year plus insurance of about $800 each per year.

Home Phone - $70 a month

Mobiles - $70 a month

Foxtel $100 a month

Choosing a place to live where you can walk to most things schools/Drs/shopping centre will help minimise costs. Living close to bus/train access points will also help minimise costs in the early days (which is how I eeked out my money when I first got here).

My first car cost me $6k second hand.

Hope that helps

Regards

Julia

Guest The Pom Queen

Depending on where you are living in the SE and how many bedrooms etc you want but an average rental is around $300 - $400 per week.

We live in the SE and we pay an average of $400 a quarter for gas and $350 a quarter for electric (although we do live in a double storey 42sq house). Unfortunately in Melbourne you either have the heating on or the aircon on so you don't tend to save much at any one time of the year.

The landlord will pay your council rates and water rates, you will just pay for water used.

Most Australians do not do all their shopping at Coles or Safeways as it is too expensive for them, you will find that they will go to the meat wholesaler, the local fruit and veg market etc. Again depending on where you are going to settle in SE MElbourne you have Tasman Meats in Berwick for all meat and Dandenong market is really cheap for fruit and veg etc.

In regards to cars, I have recently been out looking with a family who had a budget of $8000, unfortunately after visiting a wide number of gargaes there was nothing in their budget. I would say for a decent large car you would be looking between $10 - $15k. For small cars Hyundai Getz are doing a special offer at the minute for our clients of a brand new Getz drive away for $12,990. The RRP plus on road costs are usually $16,598.

Kate

Archived