any bad news???

Guest snickers

Guest snickers

Hi everyone,

I have heard so many amazing things about the wonderful land of Australia but being a realist (pessimist!) I realise that someone somewhere must have something negative to say about the place???

Its not that I want some one to talk us out of emigrating but I just want to know the full story, you know no suprises.....

Guest bob and ginnie

Stay tuned.

If you think going to Australia is going to be a stroll thro' the park, then you don't know what is going to happen to you. It's an emotional roller-coaster ride.

Don't assume that everything will drop into place all the time and that you will be on a "high" from day One for the rest of your life.

Sadly, there are the relatives and friends that you'll miss and all the familiar things in life that you just take for granted, at the moment, and many people go back because they just can't handle the homesickness.

In the old days of the 10 pound Poms coming to Australia, you had to stay for two years before you could go back, or you had to pay back the fare to the Australian gov't. This forced a lot of Pommies to get thro' the bad times . . . the "one year low" . . . that hits 99% of people as they battle with the routine once again without much support network around . . . no mates or family.

It takes time to make mates and only time will do it. You won't have a dozen close mates instantly waiting for you at the airport as you step off the plane and you have to make those associations in your next few years.

That is the tough bit.

Good luck.

Guest snickers

Yeah I suppose I guessed that!

I realise that things will be tough I mean even moving house is stresfull!!

But I dont recognise England any more so I think we are willing to take the risk of going backwards before going forwards!

Good things come to those who wait!!!

Thanks again for your reply

Guest bob and ginnie

then you're set to start a new life in the sun . . . . unlike some who can't see it past a few months!

The moral of the story:

. . . . good things in life are always worth hanging in there for.

Guest snickers

thanks a lot !!!!

I have seen the light!!

We were thinking of adelaide when we move over to the other side, so maybe we will see you in the corner shop :lol:

Negatives for me were (and some still are)

- I'm in Sydney BTW

Shops are BORING

No M&S, Boots, Sainsbury, Tesco, the supermarkets sell awful food. On the positive side, I have become a really good cook.

Media: Papers are rubbish, broadsheets not stimulating enough, tabloids rubbish. Radio stations not as good as you're used to.

Parking: Terrible, lots of beaches are meter only and you have to get there very early at weekends if you want a day out. Shopping center carparks always overflowing and you drive round and round for ages.

Driving: No lane discipline even on motorways. People seems to go 100 miles an hour round some local roads but stick to 110km on motorways as so afraid of getting speeding fine.

Creatures: but this can be overcome by getting your house sprayed annually for $300.

Language: you think we speak the same but there are lots of differences, takes a while to get used to it.

Costs: When you convert from pounds it seems to be cheaper but you don't get paid the same here.

Travel: Very expensive to travel around, not like the £50 flights you can get over to Spain.

As I have now been here for 4 years, I think the positives must have outweighed the negatives though:

Nearly everyday of the year, you can eat lunch outside.

Not much rain, but when it does, it really chucks it down, not rubbish drizzle.

Really lovely countryside only a few hours from Sydney with nice air, lots of green and kangaroos around.

Although I don't find Sydney has a "buzz" to it like London, it really is very pretty, you're always near some lovely water view.

Guest snickers

thanks for that Jo.

A lot of the things that you find negative about Australia can also be said for the UK.

Shops ARE boring thats what they do!!

I havent read a decent bit of journalism in the UK for years ,all the papers are poor.

I wont even comment on parking and driving as everyone knows it is a real headache in the UK.

With regard to language I am certain that Australian is a closer match to English than Bengali or the like!!!!

I think as you said,things are different out in Australia but they would be different anywhere in the world possibly even in the same country! But what it all comes down to is where do I think my children will have a better life??

If it wasn't for my kids, I would have gone back after 6 months. In the UK, every weekend seemed to be raining and we would take them to some indoor type place which would be packed and awful. The swimming lessons had a 6 month waiting list and we seemed to spend 8 months of the year indoors.

In Sydney, we have our own pool which they use 8 months of the year, in the winter after school they play on the swings outside. Everyone is into sports (Saturday mornings are like a week day morning traffic wise, all the parents taking children to play sports!).

Also, round where I live there are not groups of teenagers hanging round at night in parks and things drinking and smoking. I'm sure there are suburbs where this happens but not here. In South Wales where I'm from and also living in Hampshire this was the norm.

So there is no doubt at all in my mind which is a better place for kids!

Guest ABCDiamond
If it wasn't for my kids, I would have gone back after 6 months. In the UK, every weekend seemed to be raining and we would take them to some indoor type place which would be packed and awful. The swimming lessons had a 6 month waiting list and we seemed to spend 8 months of the year indoors.

In Sydney, we have our own pool which they use 8 months of the year, in the winter after school they play on the swings outside. Everyone is into sports (Saturday mornings are like a week day morning traffic wise, all the parents taking children to play sports!).

Also, round where I live there are not groups of teenagers hanging round at night in parks and things drinking and smoking. I'm sure there are suburbs where this happens but not here. In South Wales where I'm from and also living in Hampshire this was the norm.

I agree with a lot of what you said :) Especially the Saturday traffic. When we first moved to QLD I found the Brisbane traffic pretty OK on Monday to Friday, but Saturday was a nightmare :D

I am one of the ones that did return to the UK, but then came back again ;)

Guest snickers

Also, round where I live there are not groups of teenagers hanging round at night in parks and things drinking and smoking. I'm sure there are suburbs where this happens but not here.

You don't have to travel far round here to find kids on street corners either but over here they generally find something to do!

Like break something or beat someone up!!!!

As I've said before ,England is fast becoming a place that I can't feel proud to be a part of anymore!! :(

Archived