Parent migration tourist visa

Guest vivien

Guest vivien

Hi this is 1 of 4 posts regarding a visa for my parents to join me in Australia. There seems to be lots of options but none of which fit very well!

Basic info is I've been in Australia on a permanent resident visa for 5 years, but have 2 brothers in the uk so the parent visas aren't possible at the moment. My parents are 55 which makes permanent working visas very difficult.

They would love to move out here full time but this seems very difficult and so we are considering a tourist visa. I guess this would mean they would have to live in the uk for 6 months of the year or could you go to NZ for a holiday and come straight back in?

Does anyone know how difficult immigration might be. I would hope they might be more flexible when they aren't eligble for the parent visa?

Is this a long term option if they played by the rules?

thanks for any help

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Vivien

You would do far, far better to consider the options one at a time than trying to deal with several very vague possibilities in several different threads at the same time. You will simply end up in a total muddle at this rate, but here goes:

They would love to move out here full time but this seems very difficult and so we are considering a tourist visa. I guess this would mean they would have to live in the uk for 6 months of the year or could you go to NZ for a holiday and come straight back in?

Does anyone know how difficult immigration might be. I would hope they might be more flexible when they aren't eligble for the parent visa?

Is this a long term option if they played by the rules?

There is only one rule, which is that tourist visas cannot be used as a means of emigrating to Australia.

If your parents would like to spend a year in Australia then they might as well apply for a 12 month stay on a subclass 676 tourist visa from the outset:

Tourist Visa (Subclass 676)

If what they really want to do is to spend two or three years in Australia then a Student visa is the best bet, which would also enable one or both of them to work part time if wished:

Students - Visas & Immigration

The Australian Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS)

A third possibility would be a subclass 405 Investor Retirement visa:

Investor Retirement (Subclass 405)

However you really will find that trying to leap from one visa to the next in this way will do nothing but confuse you, hon, as well as making your parents potentially very vulnerable to some of the absolute sharks wandering around in the UK and elsewhere pretending to be "migration agents."

Best wishes

Gill

Guest vivien

Thanks for that Gill. Sorry if I seem all over the place but I've just found that all the visas have such differences that I have to seperate them and deal with each of their pros and cons.

Frankly, the investor retirement visa seem like one big rip off! Also we are in NSW which doesn't sponsor and anyway the $1 mil is just too much. It is all just so frustrating.

I think we will just have to do the vistor visa thing and hope that my brother comes over and then apply for the parent visa.

Thanks for all your help.

Vivien

Archived