Australia beckons!

Guest snickers

Guest snickers

hello everyone!

just a quick note to say hi and i'm glad were not alone in wanting to move to Australia!

My wife (Sharon) and I(Shane) ,Jacob (7) and Scarlett (3) have decided enough is enough and Australia beckons.

I am an self employed electrician with my own small business and Sharon is an ofice manager for a marketing Company so I think we should be ok getting in although nothing is certain!

Our main points of concern are :

1: moving away from my very close family.

2: Will we find work?

3: Will the kids be OK?

4: Will we stay??

Most of these questions Have been answered before I know but everyone is different.

All I know is it feels very exciting just thinking about it so I hope that the reality lives up to the hype!!

one thing is for certain though, spiders as big as your hand are very scary!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest BrerRabbit

:D Hi Snickers, I think we're probably on the same wave length for our reasons to go to Oz and your family life sounds about the same as us too.

We've got 2 kiddies aged 6 and 2, husbands a carpenter and I'm a solicitor, applied 12 August and just waiting to hear, impatiently now! Read through your posts and we feel the same as you about the UK - pretty unrecognisable since we were kids (and we're only early-mid 30's!). Just looking for somewhere better for the kids - can't bear to think they'll grow up spending majority of the year indoors, hating everything sporty and binge drinking at 15, if not younger!! UK is just not the same place that we grew up in and that doesn't matter whether you're in the cities or the country, it's all infected with the same attitudes.

We'll miss our families and friends of course. We're realists and know we'll go throught he home sickness part but hopefully we've got our eyes open and are as prepared as we can be. There's still worries - will we get work ok, find somewhere decent to live, have emnough money....etc but the if you don't try you'll never know. I think if ever came back to the UK, we'd struggle to choose somewhere to settle, it wouldn't be Carlisle.

Anyway, good luck with your application and no doubt we'll be posting on here for a while to come yet....

Zoe :D

Guest ABCDiamond
hello everyone!

just a quick note to say hi and i'm glad were not alone in wanting to move to Australia!

My wife (Sharon) and I(Shane) ,Jacob (7) and Scarlett (3) have decided enough is enough and Australia beckons.

I am an self employed electrician with my own small business and Sharon is an ofice manager for a marketing Company so I think we should be ok getting in although nothing is certain!

Our main points of concern are :

1: moving away from my very close family.

2: Will we find work?

3: Will the kids be OK?

4: Will we stay??

Most of these questions Have been answered before I know but everyone is different.

All I know is it feels very exciting just thinking about it so I hope that the reality lives up to the hype!!

one thing is for certain though, spiders as big as your hand are very scary!!!!!!

Some info from my website:

THE LICENSING OF ELECTRICAL WORKERS IN AUSTRALIA

To work in certain electrical trades in Australia you must register and/or have a license from the relevant State or Territory electrical registration and licensing authority. Licenses are issued in various grades which define the work you can do.

A separate license is required in each State and Territory in which you may wish to work. However, there are arrangements for the mutual recognition of interstate licenses which facilitate the issue of similar licenses in different States and Territories.

To obtain a license to perform the full range of electrical work without supervision, you must pass a test in the Australian electrical wiring rules. Working under supervision in Australia will help you learn the rules.

You should contact the electrical registration and licensing authority in the State or Territory, in which you intend to work, to determine how you can obtain electrical registration and/or license.

Be prepared to work as an Electricians assistant until you can get the licence, which can take a few months.

What State are you going to ?

Guest snickers

Be prepared to work as an Electricians assistant until you can get the licence, which can take a few months.

What State are you going to ?

Thanks for your reply ABC!

I guessed that I may have to take a big step backwards in my trade when moving to Australia.

I am pretty much set up here with my buisness growing year on year but somethings not right!!!

Any idea how much an Electricians assistant would earn???

With regard to where ,I don't know!!

We have a really good friend who has moved out just north of Sydney and another friend over in Perth so we really don't know!!!!

Quite fancy Adelaide and the surrounding area but I know its a bit of a lottery deciding really!!!!

Whats Brisbane Like??????

Also sounds like your website may be of intrest are you allowed to post the address??

Guest snickers
:D Hi Snickers, I think we're probably on the same wave length for our reasons to go to Oz and your family life sounds about the same as us too.

Anyway, good luck with your application and no doubt we'll be posting on here for a while to come yet....

Zoe :D

Thanks for your reply Zoe!!!!!!

It really helps to know that we are not the only ones thinking of deserting a sinking ship!!

we really haven't got going on this yet but when I have some time over the Xmas period I am going to get the ball rolling.

Cumbria is a really nice place as is Devon so as you say something is definitely not right here!

thanks again and look forward to hearing from you again!!

Guest ABCDiamond

Any idea how much an Electricians assistant would earn???

<..>Whats Brisbane Like??????

Also sounds like your website may be of intrest are you allowed to post the address??

I can't help with incomes, but I think my website is in my profile ?

I do have a link to this forum in there so it should be OK :)

Brisbane ? Well, I like it :D But different places are different things to all people. I am about 36k east of Brisbane, so not really city life, but not far to go for it. Handy for the water, nice and quite and not to hot etc. But over on the West of Brisbane it is different, and it can be much hotter !

It's difficult to choose. I went to Sydney first, but feel much happier here. However, I know people who came here first, moved to Sydney, and are happier there :)

Archived