Which beach is closest to Lindfield/Killara?

Guest CaptainCook

Guest CaptainCook

Hi

After originally setting our hearts on Northern Beaches to live when we arrive in November have recently taken a bit of a reality check and started looking at more affordable/commutable places to live on the upper north shore and am very relieved to see you can rent 4 bed places for under $800 a month. But does anyone know how long it takes to get the the beach from Lindfield/Killara area and which beach is nearest?

Many thanks

Emma

Guest shelleymarie

hi there, Just came on this site to check things out for a friend and found something useful to do!

I live on the lower north shore, your nearest beaches from Lindfield/Killara areas would still be the northern beaches. Lindfield, Killara etc are considered good suburbs (called 'leafy') and very nice for families if you like that sort of thing, but not exactly a beach setting, it would take you a good 30-40 mins to drive on a busy weekend. These are actually considered quite expensive areas, although everywhere has its different pockets, but if you really wanted a more beach style life, I'm sure you could find the same range of values closer to the northern beaches, though the quality of house might not be as good, or else newer established estates, ie around Beacon Hill.

Guest NurseFlo

Emma, sorry to digress from your query, but can you tell me where you found 4 bed places to rent for under $800 a month? Are you sure that isn't the weekly rental? Cheers x

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Prescotts

I live in Belrose on the Northern beaches & we're about 15-20 mins drive from a load of beaches - too many to list and we rented a house here for the first 4 years at about $580 pw however when we moved out (we bought our first house in May 08) the landloard put the rent up to $750 pw and it went on the first open house! It was nothing special - yes it had a pool & you could see the Harbour bridge from the garden but it was badly in need of some money spending on it.

As previously stated Lindfield & Killara can be expensive because they are on the train line & commuter land for those working in the city. Depending on where you are working you could look at Cromer, Beacon Hill, Terrey Hills, Frenchs Forest, Forestville, Collaroy Plateau, Narraweena. Allambie & Allambie Heights. There may be 4 bed houses available at around $800 I don't know but I do know all these are much closer to the beachs than Lindfield/Killara- check out www.realestate.com.au or www.domain.com.au & go to the rentals pages

Let me know if you need any more info

Regards

Jenny

Guest CaptainCook

Hi Jenny

Just getting round to saying thanks for this post. There seems to be so many lovely areas to choose from. I thought Belrose and St Ives would be perfect for us when we did our recce. Hubby wants to be in northern beaches close to the beach but as we both commute for 1 1/2 hrs each way in this country was trying to persuade him not to do it when we get there! And somewhere with a trainline would be good as he will probably be working in CBD.

Emma

Guest Prescotts

Hi Emma

Unfortunately there is no trainline on the beaches - the nearest is the one from Hornsby that goes through Lindfield etc to the CBD which is what makes that area expensive. There is good public transport to the CBD from here though - I used to work in the city & went on the bus each day which was ok & only took about 45 mins (on average) door to door which was bearable and thousands of people do it. Closer to the beach you can use the ferry from Manly which is a lovely way to travel especially in the summer (can get a bit choppy in the winter so you might need your sea legs LOL) or there are plenty of state transit buses that go from Palm beach to the city

If you can make it work then it's definately worth trying it - it's a fantastic area to live in, we wouldn't change it for anything

Regards

Jenny

Archived