Burwood or Gymea, tips anyone?

Guest Nim

Hi,

Has anyone got any experience from these two suburbs, or suburbs near by? Ahat are they like? Schools, parks, closeness to beach/CBD, cafes/restaurants, nice shops? That's on our wishlist!

Guest boomerangpommie

Burwood is in the inner west - closer to CBD but more urban, cramped, houses closer together but more cosmopolitan, probably more cafes/restaurants. Gymea is in The Shire and nearest to beaches and more space, probably more laid back and better parks. Nice shops close to both but to be honest I love The Shire and I think schools are better there as well but that's just my opinion. Why the choice between these two suburbs only?

Thanks for your answer! No no, we are open for all suggestions, not only these two! - Do you have any tips? But looking into a lot of suburbs, south of the harbour, these two look the best so far, on paper that is, and albeit very different. Someone mentioned bushfire risk in The Shire?

Guest boomerangpommie

I think Cronulla is really nice, I lived there for a while and it has some lovely beaches and parks, a great little shopping area with loads of cafes, restaurants and shops, a cinema - all 1930s architecture and pastel colours like old Miami. Also some nice schools and compared to a lot of places in Sydney, is cheaper to rent & buy. It's on a peninsula so has quite a small town feel as you can't just drive through and you see the same people out and about. It's about an hour away from the CBD by train though, but that's kinda nice as well. The Royal National Park is just next door and about two suburbs away in Miranda is a large Westfield shopping mall, so you more or less have everything in easy reach. I take it you have kids. As for bushfire, only if you're right on the edge near the bush. Cronulla is more or less surrounded by water and I've never heard of problems there but I may be wrong - I was only there a while.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest annmackem

Gymea is in the Sutherland shire and near to Cronulla Beach, a very nice part of Sydney. It has a large shopping area called Miranda Fair.The suburbs start with Cronulla then Caringbah Miranda and Gymea. They are all on the rail line to Sydney.I lived there when I was working (27 years) only moved further north when we retired. Ive been to Burwood !!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest nareyclan

All of sydney is very cosmopolitan and there is good and bad every where. If you want family atmosphere then the suburbs are great either side of the harbour. especially the shires. and out castlehill way to the north. If you wanna be city bound then Burwood Alexandra Waterloo are very good also. you need to know what you want.

Archived