Modbury- looking for more information

Guest priya

Guest priya

We are renting a property in Glenside and have decided to buy our own house, we are thinking of moving to Modbury which is 13 km from the city but i don't know much about this suburb as we came here just six month ago. Can anyone here please advice me about this suburb and its schools?

Guest just jo

Hi

Are you looking in Modbury because of budget or because you like the look of the area?

I ask because Glenside is certainly very different to Modbury. Back in the 70's Modbury was a very big English Migrant area. When we first moved here 4 years ago we lived in Modbury North for 18 months before moving slightly further north to Salisbury Heights. Anyway Modbury is an older suburb of Adelaide, houses are well priced and you often get an older house on a larger plot of land than in the newer suburbs. I liked living in Modbury North very much, it has good access to the city a very excellent shopping centre in Tea Tree Plaza, the O' Bahn runs from the Plaza to the City in roughly 15 minutes and buses run every 5 minutes during the day. Tea Tree Plaza has a full range of shops, Modbury Hospital is close by and there are lots of Doctors, dentists etc to give you full choice. There is also a Centrelink and the Vehicle Registration Office is there for driving licence renewals and registering vehicles. Plenty of banks to choose from and places like Stratco & Bunnings etc. Slightly outside Modbury in Ridgehaven you have Waterworld where the kids can do swimming lessons in the summer season and go to swim for fun. 3 heated pools & a slide, its cheap to get in and you can stay all day. Clovercrest in Modbury North has a stateswim pool for lessons and there is a handy small shopping centre for bis and bobs.

Now onto schools, I will gve you my personal opinion on schools in Modbury, some people will have other ideas but after 4 years of living in the area I've got a good idea about whats going on. You don't say what age your kids are so I'll cover Primary and High.

My girls went to Modbury West School on Wright Road, Modbury. Its an alright school declining in numbers which is not a good thing but they have just had a change of principal so things may look up, the staff there were excellent and did well in the face of a small budget. Here is the website Index

Modbury South, again its quite a nice school, close to the High School and has a special school for disabled children attached Home Page and there is also Modbury School, which we looked at and I didn't like, very shambolic and no structure but things may have changed in 4 years Home

There is also St Agnes Welcome to the St Agnes School Website Tea Tree Gully Home and Ardtornish Ardtornish Primary School - Home Page

These are great schools and I would recommend you look at all three. Dernancourt http://www.dernancts.sa.edu.au/ isn't far from Modbury and a very nice school

On to High Schools, this is very personal experience. My eldest daughter started Modbury High 2 years ago and was bullied from day 1. This went on for 7 months with me going to the school every day towards the end trying to sort it out. The bullying was vicious and verging on me going to the police. The school did nothing to sort it out so my only option was to take my daughter out. Lots of her friends are still there and enjoy it but from my personal experience I could not recommend it. modbury High index The other High Schools in the area are Valley View

Valley View Secondary School Has had a slightly rough reputation but my friends kids go there and they love it, they just moved from the UK. Banksia Park International

Banksia Park IHS - Home, can't say much about it, though my friends daughter goes there for some subjects and she said they smoke pot in the toilets at lunchtime, the other students not her daughter. Obviously I can't back that up but thats what she said. Golden Grove High http://www.goldengrovehs.sa.edu.au/ is out of Modburys zone but you can apply, this school I can definately recommend, its a centre of excellence in Arts and dance and you can get in that way if your kids can dance. My middle daughter goes here and she loves it. We live out of the zone and were accepted, also the bus runs from Tea Tree Plaza straight to Golden Grove school. There sports programme is very good, many kids that go there play sport for the State and the curriculum is good. Another school worth looking at is Modbury Heights its Reception to year 12 on one site but in 3 seperate campus. Its the only school in the North East to have its own observatory. I liked it because you stay on the same site for the whole of the school life.

http://www.theheightsschool.com.au/index.shtml

To sum up I would have a look at houses in Hope Valley, Tea Tree Gully, Redwood Park, Modbury North, Valley View and Modbury Heights also.

Hope that helps.

Jo

Guest just jo
Wow Jo, now thats an answer!!:notworthy:

Judi x

well she did ask and I didn't have much on sunday morning. :wink:

Archived