Rockhampton??

Guest Giancarlo

Guest Giancarlo

Hi Everyone

I may be offered a position in Rockhampton, Ive heard the good the bad and the ugly but really want to hear from anyone who actually lives there and what are good primary schools and areas to live.

Thanks

Guest nathanhaigh
Hi Everyone

I may be offered a position in Rockhampton, Ive heard the good the bad and the ugly but really want to hear from anyone who actually lives there and what are good primary schools and areas to live.

Thanks

We lived in Rockhampton for 6 months before being relocated to Brisbane due to work. We actually lived in the Beach town of Yeppoon which is a 50Km (30-40min drive)....very little traffic and an effortless commute until you hit North Rocky and sit at some traffic lights with 3-4 other cars....hardly the traffic you get in England!

Rocky is a small city with a little bit of everything and a very laid-back country style living. The down side is that there isn't much shopping choice other than one main indoor shopping center (Stocklands in North Rocky) and the main street in Rocky CBD. Yeppoon has a small modern indoor shopping center (Yeppoon Central). For instance, don't try going out shooping on a Sunday, everywhere will be closed ..... and shut from 3pm on a Saturday for that matter. There's a 10-pin bolwing alley, there's a big birch caroll and coyle cinema at stocklands, and the Great Western Hotel is a must see for some Bull Riding and Rodeo competitions to get you into the country lifestyle!

Rocky doesn't have much cultural diversity, they majority are Australian or Aboriginal and few internationals. But in a way this kind of adds to the charm of Rocky - it's not pretending to be something it's not. If you're a city dweller from England, it might be too small, but if you like laid back lifestyle, don't need to be shopping every weekend, then it might be the place for you.

I'd highly reccommend living in Yeppoon, near the beach - it's beautiful, child friendly, and the sea breezes will help during the humid summer months. It also allows you to appreciate what Rockhampton has to offer by not being right on it's doorstep.

To answer your questions:

• We don't know much about schools, as we didn't have any children

• As for suburbs to live in Rockhampton. The best would be North Rocky such as Norman Gardens and Frenchville. My boss lived in Norman Gardens and hs children went to a primary school in Frenchville. If you do consider Yeppoon: Pecific Heights, Barlows Hill, Cooee Bay, Lammermoor, Meikleville Hill - we lived just off Farnbrough Road, next to the beach - wonderful!

We've been in Brisbane for 2 months now, and we definately miss Yeppoon! Put it this way, people from the city are quick to critisize Rocky, and both my wife and I are quick to defend it so it must be OK!:biggrin:

HTH,

Nathand Kate

Guest Giancarlo

Thank you for all that info. Its nice to hear some positive stuff about the place!

We are country folk origainally from South Africa so we should be ok there. Just got to wait and see if the job offer comes through now!

Archived