Parental Responsibility

Guest Clare Savory

Guest Clare Savory

Hi,

We are thinking of migrating but have a large hurdle with regard to my daughter who is 7. A Contact order was set up in 2003 which was broken by her biological father very soon after. No contact has been made since. His name is on her birth certificate along with mine however the Australian government have advised that if parental responsibility was sought (which her bilogical father did but did not get it granted) then I need to contact him or go back to court to obtain a letter stating that he allows her to go. I really don't want to contact him as I know he will put the breaks on any plans to migrate. Anyone had any similar experiences?

:unsure:

Guest The Bee Family

Hi Clare,

I were in the same position as you, but I was not married to my daughters father and she was also born before Dec 2003. It does depend on a number of factors, the main one is if you were married to your daughters father. Your daughter was born before Dec 2003 when the law came in the father automatically got parental responsibility for any child born after this date, married or unmarried. Let me know if you were married to your daughters farther.

Thanks, Kim

Guest spottymercedes
Hi,

We are thinking of migrating but have a large hurdle with regard to my daughter who is 7. A Contact order was set up in 2003 which was broken by her biological father very soon after. No contact has been made since. His name is on her birth certificate along with mine however the Australian government have advised that if parental responsibility was sought (which her bilogical father did but did not get it granted) then I need to contact him or go back to court to obtain a letter stating that he allows her to go. I really don't want to contact him as I know he will put the breaks on any plans to migrate. Anyone had any similar experiences?

:unsure:

Hi there, There are quite a few older threads on this matter if you search for them there will be a lot of info to read. Look under 'permission for leave of jurisdiction' or 'consent from ex partner'

I have had a similar experience with an ex partner, there was no parental responsibility in my case but unfortunatley I had to go through the courts and get a court order. I don't want to worry you, but it was not an easy situation to be in and took the best part of a year. It will depend on whether your ex wants to make things difficult for you.

Good Luck with it. xx

Guest Clare Savory

Hi Kim,

Thanks for your reply. I was not married to my daughters father but he did seek parental responsibility when we were in court in 2005. Consequently he didn't get it - thankfully! A contact order was made where I took her to a contact centre every fortnight. In due course he stopped turning up. I spoke to the Austalian Immigration in London and they sent me an e-mail saying that I need to supply a letter demonstrating that he never sought parental responsibility. Do you know anything about the type of letter they need. I am loath to put too much detail in. I do know where my daughters biological father is but definatley don't want to contact him. He will definatley deny her going - just to be difficult and in control.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks Clare

Hi Clare,

I were in the same position as you, but I was not married to my daughters father and she was also born before Dec 2003. It does depend on a number of factors, the main one is if you were married to your daughters father. Your daughter was born before Dec 2003 when the law came in the father automatically got parental responsibility for any child born after this date, married or unmarried. Let me know if you were married to your daughters farther.

Thanks, Kim

Archived