Can anyone tell me about Pakenham

Guest vonbab

Guest vonbab

Hello,

Looking at the prospect of moving in to a new house in Pakenham (Eventide Rise) and would like to know if anyone can share information about the area. I have three son's aged 5, 11 and 13 so need info on schools colleges etc.

My husband is a golf professional so would be seeking work in that capacity. Any information you can offer in regard to the area would be appreciated i.e. amenities, schools, supermarkets, medical centre's etc.

Thanks!

Guest ashmalog

i have visited pakenham and really liked it - we looked at new builds on some of the new housing estates and was really impressed. if you find kate (moving to melbourne) she will beable to give you more info on melbourne and the schools in particular areas. She is a great font of knowledge!!

bonnie

Guest spottymercedes
Hello,

Looking at the prospect of moving in to a new house in Pakenham (Eventide Rise) and would like to know if anyone can share information about the area. I have three son's aged 5, 11 and 13 so need info on schools colleges etc.

My husband is a golf professional so would be seeking work in that capacity. Any information you can offer in regard to the area would be appreciated i.e. amenities, schools, supermarkets, medical centre's etc.

Thanks!

Hi There,

We live in Pakenham and have been here for almost 8 months now, and we really like it here.

There is a similar thread going to this one which I replied about schools yesterday. I will have a look for it and copy my reply over to this one.

Guest spottymercedes

Hello Again,

This is the copied posting I did yesterday when someone was asking about schools in Pakenham.

Our kids go to St Patrick's catholic primary school which is in Pakenham about 10/15 mins walk from our house. It is a nice school and is due to extend as they are expecting the intake of pupils to almost double in the next 5 years. There are also plans to build a secondary school on site starting in 2010, which will be great for my girls, but my son will need to travel to Berwick for the catholic secondary as he will start there next year.

There are other schools here too. We have Pakenham Springs which is a new primary and has won several awards, although I'm not entirely sure exactly what the awards are for. Pakenham Springs is on the new estate here which is not really my favourite area as the houses are a bit too close together, but they look nice if you like new builds.

There is also another primary school called Pakenham Consolidated which I'm afraid I have only ever heard bad things about, but I've never been there or looked around as we wanted a catholic school as thats what we had in the uk.

There is a secondary college here called Beaconhills, which has all good reports, but again I don't know much about as its not what I am looking for.

Pakenham is a really nice area and you are close enough to nature here whilst at the same time close to civilisation, at an affordable price. I do have concerns however that so many years down the line it will be too built up and join up with the rest of the suburbs along the way. Personally, I don't want to live in a built up area that is full of new houses and has no open space left in it, but if and when that happens to Pakenham there are loads of other areas only slightly further afield to move to.

Good Luck with your move and hope this helps.

There are quite a few good shops in Pakenham, there is a little town centre which is easy to park in and has a fair few shops, newsagent, post office, toy shops, all the main banks, gift store, games exchange, blockbuster dvd rental. Lots of other shops and little cafes too. There is a library, hotel, all the usual fast food places, McD's, Hungry Jacks, Pizza places, chinese etc. We used to have a really nice Dominos Pizza but it closed one night and never re-opened, not sure why, hope it had nothing to do with hygiene!!?! There are 3 coles stores, one off the main high street in the big shopping centre and the other 2 are on the new estates, which also have their own little shopping centres. There is a big safeway, Target, Bike store, Toy World and numerous little chemists in the big shopping centre.

I have been told by a few locals that there will in the next 5 years be a big shopping centre like the one at fountain gate opening, not sure how true this is, but can only be good if you like that sort of thing on your doorstep. The area is growing all the time and one thing that I have noticed here which is so different from the UK, is that the street signs, when vandalised or damaged are replaced almost straight away. I don't know if that is true of Victoria all over, but it makes you feel like the council has a bit of pride in the area which is nice.

Schools are mentioned above and there are probably a few more on the outskirts, which I don't even know about. There are a lot of doctors surgeries all over the place usually in old buildings which would have once been private houses. We go to a new medical centre which has recently opened behind McDonalds and seems pretty good for us.

My OH currently works in Springvale, which is about 50 minutes from here, Although on a good day he can do the trip in 40 mins, but you can't guarantee a good day on the monash freeway that often!!

I hope this is the kind of info you were after, and if you want any other info then please feel free to pm me and I will do my best to help. I think if you search through old threads that this area is mentioned a few times and I have probably replied to questions about it a few times.

Guest The Pom Queen

Pakenham is a lovely area and I am sure you would love it there.

In regards to Secondary Schools, Pakenham SC is an average high school, nothing special but not bad either. Personally though if I lived in Pakenham I would be sending my children to Beaconhills College, although it is a private school the fees are not expensive (approx $5500 for a Yr10 student) and the education far beats any other high school in this area. 77% of the students go on to university compared to 30% from Pakenham SC.

Hope this helps

Kate

Guest ashmalog
Hello Again,

This is the copied posting I did yesterday when someone was asking about schools in Pakenham.

Our kids go to St Patrick's catholic primary school which is in Pakenham about 10/15 mins walk from our house. It is a nice school and is due to extend as they are expecting the intake of pupils to almost double in the next 5 years. There are also plans to build a secondary school on site starting in 2010, which will be great for my girls, but my son will need to travel to Berwick for the catholic secondary as he will start there next year.

There are other schools here too. We have Pakenham Springs which is a new primary and has won several awards, although I'm not entirely sure exactly what the awards are for. Pakenham Springs is on the new estate here which is not really my favourite area as the houses are a bit too close together, but they look nice if you like new builds.

There is also another primary school called Pakenham Consolidated which I'm afraid I have only ever heard bad things about, but I've never been there or looked around as we wanted a catholic school as thats what we had in the uk.

There is a secondary college here called Beaconhills, which has all good reports, but again I don't know much about as its not what I am looking for.

Pakenham is a really nice area and you are close enough to nature here whilst at the same time close to civilisation, at an affordable price. I do have concerns however that so many years down the line it will be too built up and join up with the rest of the suburbs along the way. Personally, I don't want to live in a built up area that is full of new houses and has no open space left in it, but if and when that happens to Pakenham there are loads of other areas only slightly further afield to move to.

Good Luck with your move and hope this helps.

There are quite a few good shops in Pakenham, there is a little town centre which is easy to park in and has a fair few shops, newsagent, post office, toy shops, all the main banks, gift store, games exchange, blockbuster dvd rental. Lots of other shops and little cafes too. There is a library, hotel, all the usual fast food places, McD's, Hungry Jacks, Pizza places, chinese etc. We used to have a really nice Dominos Pizza but it closed one night and never re-opened, not sure why, hope it had nothing to do with hygiene!!?! There are 3 coles stores, one off the main high street in the big shopping centre and the other 2 are on the new estates, which also have their own little shopping centres. There is a big safeway, Target, Bike store, Toy World and numerous little chemists in the big shopping centre.

I have been told by a few locals that there will in the next 5 years be a big shopping centre like the one at fountain gate opening, not sure how true this is, but can only be good if you like that sort of thing on your doorstep. The area is growing all the time and one thing that I have noticed here which is so different from the UK, is that the street signs, when vandalised or damaged are replaced almost straight away. I don't know if that is true of Victoria all over, but it makes you feel like the council has a bit of pride in the area which is nice.

Schools are mentioned above and there are probably a few more on the outskirts, which I don't even know about. There are a lot of doctors surgeries all over the place usually in old buildings which would have once been private houses. We go to a new medical centre which has recently opened behind McDonalds and seems pretty good for us.

My OH currently works in Springvale, which is about 50 minutes from here, Although on a good day he can do the trip in 40 mins, but you can't guarantee a good day on the monash freeway that often!!

I hope this is the kind of info you were after, and if you want any other info then please feel free to pm me and I will do my best to help. I think if you search through old threads that this area is mentioned a few times and I have probably replied to questions about it a few times.

can you let me know what the name of your surgery is and its set up - modern/old/ lots of gp's/single? I am a practice nurse and wanting to stay in practice and was looking at pakenham for a job but only found single dwelling gp's which is no good for me as they do everything themselves.

ta.

bonnie:cute:

Guest spottymercedes
can you let me know what the name of your surgery is and its set up - modern/old/ lots of gp's/single? I am a practice nurse and wanting to stay in practice and was looking at pakenham for a job but only found single dwelling gp's which is no good for me as they do everything themselves.

ta.

bonnie:cute:

Hi Bonnie,

Its called Pakenham Superclinic, the address is 1 Lyleblue Court, Pakenham, (behind McDonalds, off the Princes Hwy. Its a new building and has opened since we arrived in May last year. They have a drop in service or you can ring for a same day appointment. Not actually been there much as only my daughter and OH has needed a doctor once each, but seems ok.

Guest ashmalog

Hi Marie

thanks for that info, not only is this site great for making friends but it could also get you a job. I have emailed them and they seem impressed with my cv!!! thanks again.

you never know i could end up being your practice nurse!!!!

bonnie

Guest spottymercedes
Hi Marie

thanks for that info, not only is this site great for making friends but it could also get you a job. I have emailed them and they seem impressed with my cv!!! thanks again.

you never know i could end up being your practice nurse!!!!

bonnie

Thats good news Bonnie, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Where are you living?

Guest ashmalog
Thats good news Bonnie, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Where are you living?

in lincolnshire at the moment but got visa in dec. need to sell the house. itching to get over. looking at berwick, lynbrook, pakenham, narre warren. work as a practice nurse and dont really want to go back into the hospital if i can help it. love my job now but the time has come to emmigrate. got friends in pakenham upper and family in the city.

Guest spottymercedes
in lincolnshire at the moment but got visa in dec. need to sell the house. itching to get over. looking at berwick, lynbrook, pakenham, narre warren. work as a practice nurse and dont really want to go back into the hospital if i can help it. love my job now but the time has come to emmigrate. got friends in pakenham upper and family in the city.

Sorry I thought you were already here!!! Good Luck with selling the house, do you have the option of renting it out? Its a shame isn't it when you are leaving a job you love, my OH was the same, he used to love his job, but apart from his job nothing else was good, so thats why we left. It is good to have a new fresh start and leave all the things which have gone wrong behind. Although the OH is not enjoying his job here, we are still glad we came and wouldn't go back now.

Hope you get sorted soon, and who knows if you do move to this area we could meet up one day soon.

xx:wub:

Guest ashmalog

that would be lovely. we have a lot of money in our house so we need to sell before we lose the lot!! hoping we don't have to validate in june so fingers crossed.

Archived